#522 Oben

Oben

Yeah!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Gon.. he really is something. He might be how he his because of neglect. From what we know he grew up with unlimited freedom to the point he was allowed to travel at a young age to another country by himself. He was a prodigy and even within his innocence he knew that. The plot progressed really fast and he was put in life or death situations without getting a grasp of the implications of his acts. At the end of the day he never learned about consequences. You might say he is stupid but in my eyes he is doing really good for someone of his age who never had a proper parental role. Kite was a good mentor because he never enabled Gon unlike all the other teachers and mentors gon had. They (biscuit and wing) enabled just because gon asked nicely or they were curious to see the limits of his potential.
This is all character development since he is still young. You can't really compare gon with killua since killua was physically and mentally prepared from a young age to have that dangerous lifestyle, and to avoid having him become like gon his bother inserted a needle in killuas head just in case. Kurapika can't also be compared to gon because although he was weak at the beginning he saw the acts of the troupe and learned the hard way that death is a serious matter and he somehow got the biggest powerboost in the history of all shonens.

Gon wasn't neglected and had a mother. Mito was his parent for all purposes (and his grandma is around as well), he had a house and a bed and a family. She also forces him to do schoolwork and whatnot.

All this talk about gon made me miss the prodigy due of Gon and Killua. Do you think they will show up in this or the next arc?
I know it is very unlikely since the arc is already packed with an abundant number of characters but Kurapika could have hired them as precaution. They are fighting monster after all.
Do they stand a chance against the troupe now after 2 years of training?

Gon is currently at home without Nen, and Killua is touring the world with Alluka. Neither of them have a reason to be involved as of now, but I guess that could change once the Zoldycks and Ging get more focus.

Edited by Oben, 12 April 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• /2aw and Chillman like this

#523 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:11 AM

I think you're exaggerating.

What part?

Gon wasn't neglected and had a mother. Mito was his parent for all purposes (and his grandma is around as well), he had a house and a bed and a family. She also forces him to do schoolwork and whatnot.

Yet they let him travel to another country b himself.

Gon is currently at home without Nen, and Killua is touring the world with Alluka. Neither of them have a reason to be involved as of now, but I guess that could change once the Zoldycks and Ging get more focus.

The last time we saw them was at least one year ago before the preparations for the new hunter exam were made. In the mean time things could have changed.
[edit]...just realised we really dont know how long it has been since they really appeared in the manga. I just said a year but it could have been 3 months. The safest thing is to assume nothing has changed.

Either way once they come back they will be on a new level. Specially Gon since he is studying.

Edited by Abaroxa, 13 April 2018 - 04:12 AM.

#524 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:25 AM

Yet they let him travel to another country b himself.

Well, the kid is a superhuman with quite a mind for his age (he may be oblivious to the world but that is different from having low learning capacity or level of thought). Ging also became Hunter at that age. It's not neglecting, just accepting the fact that your kid is not the average kind and letting him progress at his own pace.

Besides let say that is a bad decision on Mito's part, that doesn't mean before that she neglected Gon. She was against his decision.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#525 Oben

Oben

Yeah!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,738 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:42 AM

The last time we saw them was at least one year ago before the preparations for the new hunter exam were made. In the mean time things could have changed.
[edit]...just realised we really dont know how long it has been since they really appeared in the manga. I just said a year but it could have been 3 months. The safest thing is to assume nothing has changed.

The departure date of the Black Whale was August 8. The Election started in August of the previous year and took a couple days, maybe weeks. Then there's a small timeskip to Ging and Gon on the tree. So, my quick guess is 9-10 months.

Either way once they come back they will be on a new level. Specially Gon since he is studying.

Eh, he's studying for school, and his Nen was reset. He can be happy if he reaches his previous level in this time-

Edited by Oben, 13 April 2018 - 05:44 AM.

#526 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

Well, the kid is a superhuman with quite a mind for his age (he may be oblivious to the world but that is different from having low learning capacity or level of thought). Ging also became Hunter at that age. It's not neglecting, just accepting the fact that your kid is not the average kind and letting him progress at his own pace.

Besides let say that is a bad decision on Mito's part, that doesn't mean before that she neglected Gon. She was against his decision.

oh.. he went against her word. That's a different story. Guess he was just arrogant given his superiority to everyone else in his island.

Gon (...) He was a prodigy and even within his innocence he knew that.

If he knows then others know for sure. You are right.
I guess she really had no choice once Gon came back with the license. This was a laminated proof that at the age of 12 he had accomplished something talented people still fail at the age of 30.

He is a 1 in 10 millions but he lacks the smarts of other hunters and nen users. He thinks outside of the box sometimes but he would lose so fast to a weaker fighter the same way Morel defeated the cheetah ant. He either becomes a beast like uvogin or hits the books, which he is doing right now.

Edited by Abaroxa, 13 April 2018 - 05:56 AM.

#527 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

What part?

HxH, even with its breaks, is one of the highest selling mangas in Japan. Same as Berserk, same as Oda even with his monthly breaks. A manga as detailed as this can't be rushed, and there are too many that I feel decline in quality because of it. This man has the freedom he wants because he pushed for it. He didn't want to be miserable like he apparently was with Yuyu Hakusho. If that series was great despite its rushed ending, I am all for Togashi taking his time.

• /2aw and KUROkami like this

#528 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Same as Berserk, same as Oda even with his monthly breaks

Actually Bersekf sells much less than HxH (about a third) and OP sells more than twice as much but yes, HxH is currently the third most popular manga in Japan behind OP and SnK.

Besides I think Abaroxa is saying the break kills the manga for him.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#529 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

While that's relatable, the breaks aren't as bad as they used to be. So far anyway.

#530 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Actually Bersekf sells much less than HxH (about a third) and OP sells more than twice as much but yes, HxH is currently the third most popular manga in Japan behind OP and SnK.

Bingo!

While that's relatable, the breaks aren't as bad as they used to be. So far anyway.

I can't stop. At this point I am hooked but there are ways to fix this problem.

I would rather have the 20 page per month than 10 weeks of chapters of 20 pages.
That way my memory is still fresh and the manga stays relevant all year long.
On one side you have 10 months of the year and on the other we have 2 months and a half. What's better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users