#761 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

What happened with YYH?

I get the sentiment but if his back is bad to the point he can't properly draw then he has to make the choice - find someone to help on the series or just end it.

https://www.reddit.c...und_in_the_yyh/

He still draws when he's able to. Past breaks have been worse. It's also an extremely popular series in Japan despite the pauses so it's not like there's much urgency.

• azer_moli likes this

#762 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

It looks like he was hit with 'Poe Syndrome' as in 'what happened to Edgar Allen Poe and his mental state'.

I don't know if anyone will understand, but when I was stressed because I wasn't satisfied with my manga, the only way for me to relieve this stress was to draw all my manga by myself.

That was not good. . .not by a long shot.

As a result, those chapters ended up horrible. Both the characters and the backgrounds were messy. The one shot Two Shots, Karasu vs. Kurama, Yusuke vs. Sensui, the scene where Yusuke meets Raizen, I drew most of those alone.

Going to a shrink would've been better. . .and demanding a monthly release schedule instead of weekly for the sake of physical and mental health.

It saddens me to say this, but I had explored every possible direction for the YYH characters that I could in the context of a professional publication. All I could do at this point was to start deconstructing the characters, or go on repeating the same storylines over and over until the readers got bored.

This is a huge problem with with stories overall. People don't know how to properly plan a story, especially a long story with a lot of arcs to them like manga. Overall the story has to have its full beginning and ending planned out after the plot is figured out. Each individual arc has to be treated as its own self-contained story with prior rules being used. The rest of it is to be BS Free as much as possible. That's what I did for my My Little Pony fan comic and it worked.(Unfortunately the artist drawing it quit on me. . .damn it!)

My attempts to deconstruct the characters were, of course, turned down by Jump. I didn't have the strength, physically and mentally, to keep doing the same thing over and over.

And this is why I don't care for that company and this line justifies me every time I complain about the 'cookie cutter' crap that goes on there. I'm surprise there wasn't a huge migration when the mangaka for GUMM/Battle Angel Alita 'quit' and took the series somewhere else to be published.

I knew that Jump dropped a manga after 10 weeks if the readers' surveys proved it to be unpopular, and I knew this when I started working for them. This system proved encouraging for me, and I learned a lot by being aware of readers reactions. But I ended up wanting to draw manga for myself, without thinking about anyone's reactions. I don't believe that anything I came up with on this premise will live up to Jump's standards, so I will not try.

Another writing rule of mine-

The first person you have to impress with your story is the person you see every time you look in a mirror.
If you can't impress yourself with what you've written then how can your story impress anyone else? Don't torture yourself by writing a story that doesn't interest you.

In other words - Don't give a sh!t what anyone else thinks and just tell the story! If people love it like you do then great. If not then to blazes with the haters and tell the story anyway!

Oh and once again, screw that publisher and how they treat the magnakas.

Edited by Graeystone, 16 February 2020 - 12:04 PM.

• D.Hyuga likes this

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#763 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

Togashi didn’t have nearly as much pull with YYH as he does with HxH.

Oda is somewhat similar. He makes the company so much money that he’s practically forced to take breaks to avoid overworking. I don’t think other mangaka are as lucky.

#764 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

Togashi didn’t have nearly as much pull with YYH as he does with HxH.

Oda is somewhat similar. He makes the company so much money that he’s practically forced to take breaks to avoid overworking. I don’t think other mangaka are as lucky.

Mashisa with Fairy Tail and Eden's Zero although he was smart and is sharing the burden. If Togashi has better pull now then he can come up with a better way.

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#765 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

Why doesn't Togashi just simply ask his wife to help out with the artwork?

Since I believe that his wife is the creator of Sailor Moon irrc.

#766 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:23 AM

Why doesn't Togashi just simply ask his wife to help out with the artwork?

Since I believe that his wife is the creator of Sailor Moon irrc.

That would be kinda cool, we would get awesome transformation scenes and Leo throwing his moon crown at people.  :aww:  :aww:

sUP3nUt.jpg?1

“I’m a slow learner, it’s true. But I learn. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users