• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

86577l.jpg

Plot Summary

Hyakkaou Private Academy. An institution for the privileged with a very peculiar curriculum. You see, when you're the sons and daughters of the wealthiest of the wealthy, it's not athletic prowess or book smarts that keep you ahead. It's reading your opponent, the art of the deal. What better way to hone those skills than with a rigorous curriculum of gambling? At Hyakkaou Private Academy, the winners live like kings, and the losers are put through the wringer. But when Yumeko Jabami enrolls, she's gonna teach these kids what a high roller really looks like!'

Genre: Mystery, Psychological, Drama, School
Studio: MAPPA
Source: Manga

PV

Link to Episode 1

Spoiler My Thoughts on Episode 1

Edited by Tokoya, 05 July 2017 - 02:52 PM.

• Goddess Nike, Kid Frost and Grimmjagger like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

After skimming through some chapters of the manga I have to say these characters are way more insane than I thought, which is saying a lot considering that I already thought they were pretty nuts from the episode one.

Also even though there was only one translated chapter so far reading the prequel manga about Mary made her a much more likeable and understandable character, plus she seems to be one of the more sane people at the school; at least compared to Jabami and the other psychos on the student council. I wonder if her backstory will make into to the show itself.

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#3 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Spoiler Episode 2 Thoughts

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#4 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Being Saotome is suffering....The bitch kinda deserved it

In her defense her prequel manga shows that Mary is an outsider of that school and wasn't initially like that, she's just a victim of the rules and environment set by the student council. Compared to the students who are just naturally abusive, sadistic, or gambling addicts she's one of the more sympathetic people since she was forced into it.

On the other hand Ryota is a character that I find pretty curious, his words in this episode imply that he's been at the school even longer than the student council president since he mentions how things use to be before she got there but somehow he seems to be the only person that doesn't go along with the eat or be eaten culture. 

• Tokoya likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#5 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

My thoughts on this Student Council member and the President

JzpmOyTBSz6KVfa1GcYjsA.png

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#6 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

THIS ADAPTATION HAS BEEN DANGEROUS TO MY CROTCH.

I DON'T THINK I WILL RESIST THAT MUCH.

• Tokoya likes this

AvjeFFM.png

Who you callin' a dumbass!? I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars!

#7 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Spoiler Episode 4

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#8 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Oh? I'll be sure to check out Episodes 4 and 5 then, because this Indian Poker game is one of my favourites in the series

• Insane Soul likes this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#9 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

That was a fun episode, but this game seems stupid. Maybe I missed it, but is there any strategy to this game except cheating, because you only know one card so you have no way of knowing if your hand is or could be good. You just blindly have to bet and hope you win.

#10 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

that psychotic Russian Roulette girl

Komaeda did it better :P

But I'd lowkey take that life plan that Mary had if I were a girl lol

I think you missed the part where Runa said that Mary's future husband was a dirty old lolicon that she definitely wouldn't want to be involved with...maybe that's your type but most people probably wouldn't be okay with that. :lmao:

Not to mention that similar to Koi to Uso there's the general problem of being arranged to marry to someone you don't even know opposed to someone you choose for yourself but at least in that series the government makes the best effort to match you with your perfect partner and even then you aren't forced to go through with it unlike here.
Also they didn't show the full details of her life schedule like in the manga but it tells you what university to attend, which career path to take, and even how many children to have and what year you're supposed to give birth to each child along with the preferred gender so it's much worse than in KtU.

is there any strategy to this game except cheating

Part of it is how you cleverly you manage the chips that you have (both in number and value) but you still have the normal poker strategies (have you never played a poker game like this?) That said cheating is a strategy itself and for this game in particular there's more than one way to cheat.

• Kid Frost likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#11 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

I think you missed the part where Runa said that Mary's future husband was a dirty old lolicon that she definitely wouldn't want to be involved with...maybe that's your type but most people probably wouldn't be okay with that.
I completely missed that part lol....That's a big no and an even bigger red flag for me xD I despise lolicons

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#12 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Part of it is how you cleverly you manage the chips that you have (both in number and value) but you still have the normal poker strategies (have you never played a poker game like this?) That said cheating is a strategy itself and for this game in particular there's more than one way to cheat.

I played poker, but just regular one where you get five cards. Even in Texas Hold'Em you get two cards and you can see the three/four/five other cards. So in every poker I know you at least can evaluate your hand, which you can't with only a single card. But I guess you're right about the managing of your chips.

#13 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

I played poker, but just regular one where you get five cards. Even in Texas Hold'Em you get two cards and you can see the three/four/five other cards. So in every poker I know you at least can evaluate your hand, which you can't with only a single card. But I guess you're right about the managing of your chips.

I meant an Indian poker type of game, it's a real game though it goes by different names depending on where you're from and it has different variations. The version in this episode is just another type but the point of the game is that you don't know your cards.

2h7297a.jpg

#14 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

I meant an Indian poker type of game, it's a real game though it goes by different names depending on where you're from and it has different variations. The version in this episode is just another type but the point of the game is that you don't know your cards.

I actually never heard of it before. It still just seems weird to me.

#15 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

I actually never heard of it before. It still just seems weird to me.

http://www.pokersour...ndian-poker.asp

https://en.wikipedia...s_bluff_(poker)

I don't see what's so weird about it, to me it's actually one of the more fun and casual games to play and because of that it's easier to convince people to play that might otherwise might not be into straight poker or other common variations. In fact when I was at university this was one of the card games we played most often precisely because it was always easy to gather people for it. You should try it the next time you're with your friends.  

Edited by Goddess Nike, 26 July 2017 - 09:39 PM.

2h7297a.jpg

#16 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

That was a fun episode, but this game seems stupid. Maybe I missed it, but is there any strategy to this game except cheating, because you only know one card so you have no way of knowing if your hand is or could be good. You just blindly have to bet and hope you win.

I would argue that not having strategy or cheating or having to blindly bet wouldn't be such a bad thing.

After all, it wouldn't be gambling if you didn't count on luck and guesswork and sheer risk-taking from time to time.

It's definitely beneficial to have a strategy before going into a gamble, but you know what I mean.

To append to @Goddess Nike statement, this may already fall under "normal poker strategies", but poker is always about psychology, psyching your opponent into doing something beneficial for you.

What Mary did at the end of the episode, winning her round with a bad hand, is a testament to that.

• Goddess Nike likes this

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#17 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

What I find amazing is how good they are adapting the manga, heck I would argue they are boosting the MADNESS of it with the animation, specifically the rape faces (which come and go very often)

AvjeFFM.png

#18 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

I ship Jabami and Mary so hard right now

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#19 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

So I watched Episodes 4 and 5, may go back to watch 1 to 3 later.
Yep, the Indian Poker game is as good as in the Manga.

Observations
1. The events covered in these 2 episodes spanned 5 chapters in the Manga, so I would imagine the 2.5 chapter pacing is faster than the prior 3 episodes. Keep in mind that Kakegurui is a monthly series when I write this.

2. This game is one of the most maths-heavy games of the series, so in this instance, I enjoyed having the luxury to read at my own pace with the Manga. 
If I didn't read it beforehand, I bet I would've had a hard time keeping up with the heavy gameplay in these episodes.

3. It's worth noting that unlike the Anime that focused on the (misleading) "total sum", in the Manga, the "infographics" for this game focused more on the "chips". That is, there was more emphasis on which player has what chips, rather than how much "points" they managed to accrue.
Furthermore, the Manga infographics were subject to who the thinker is. What this means is that not only was Kiwatari the only one to have ever thought in terms of "total sum", but info on which chips carry what value were never objectively revealed until the end. Which made the end results all the more satisfying.

4. Due to the aforementioned 2.5 chapter pacing of these episodes, some dialogue and scenes were omitted, with the most notable ones being scenes from Tsubomi's flashback. Fortunately, neither narrative nor character development were ruined in the process. Everything that really needed to be kept were kept, and my standards regarding this are usually quite high.

5. The Anime uses less metaphoric imagery too

Thoughts
@Insane Soul is right, the motion and voices of the Anime does heighten the madness of the Manga
  • No complaints about the voices thus far
  • Yumeko's downtime "relaxed" face was more demure in the Manga. I liked it that way, because not only did it make her "innocent maiden" acts more humouring, it better cleans the palate before her next mad moment comes along.
  • Kiwatari's comeuppance was glorious, sink into the abyss.
  • The mechanic manipulation of debt declaration, and hence chip value manipulation, is still so beautifully Liar Game-esque, love it.
  • I still hope that Tsubomi gets recruited in the future. Reliability aside, it's surprising how handy having additional allies in a death game environment can be at times.
  • Finally, the teamplay between Yumeko and Mary is awesome, just 2 high level players stomping on a cocky jerk whose way out of his league

Hmm, at this rate, the Anime could very well wrap up all of the current Student Council matches within 12 episodes, which would be a good point to stop.

Edited by gamria, 31 July 2017 - 09:02 AM.

• Tokoya and Insane Soul like this

#20 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:39 AM

DGZSIl7V0AAFlmI.jpg

• Tokoya, Gobi Todic and Kid Frost like this

AvjeFFM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users