419 replies to this topic

#341 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:06 AM

Titanic sunk every movie that year into the ocean :P

I haven't watched Boogie Night yet but I did the last 3 movies of PTA (Phantom Thread not counted). Great stuffs indeed! Especially Phoenix. But that guy sure has no luck with box office according to wikipedia. There Will Be Blood is understandably his most commercially successful piece.

Titanic being one of them but Good Will hunting, which is by no means a bad movie, is another

Phoenix is unlucky as well because he has insulted the Academy and the Globes before. Dude deserved at least 2 Oscars at this point but he was unlucky that he was against DDL in one year and the other Philipp Hoffman gave one of the performances of his career.

qhz8b56l.png

#342 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

Fallen Kingdom looks great, can't wait for it.

No idea why, but i'm surprised they're making another Mission Impossible film. Maybe because I hadn't heard anything about it until now. Then again, Rogue Nation was the same way.

"How many times has Hunt's government betrayed him? Disavowed him?"

I don't even know the argument, but that's a very good point. Don't remember 1 that well, didn't happen in 2, but from 3 to what looks like 6 that'll be 4 films in a row  :lolxg:

Also, with Henry Cavill playing an agent of the CIA by the looks of it, this almost comes off as Mission Impossible vs The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Titanic being one of them but Good Will hunting, which is by no means a bad movie, is another

Phoenix is unlucky as well because he has insulted the Academy and the Globes before. Dude deserved at least 2 Oscars at this point but he was unlucky that he was against DDL in one year and the other Philipp Hoffman gave one of the performances of his career.

Fantastic film. Only real regret is that I saw it years after it came out.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#343 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Saw Three Billboards, the fact that this is not only nominated but even is the frontrunner for best picture is a joke.

I have only seen five of the other nominees but each movie was significantly better, was this year that bad regarding movies?

qhz8b56l.png

#344 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#345 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,093 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

My body is ready

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#346 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:51 AM

My body is ready

Careful Toko. Selling yourself out like that, will only ruin your health in the end.  :P

• Tokoya and secretzfan like this
Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#347 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

Saw Three Billboards, the fact that this is not only nominated but even is the frontrunner for best picture is a joke.

I have only seen five of the other nominees but each movie was significantly better, was this year that bad regarding movies?

Could u give more reason to why u disliked it?

#348 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Could u give more reason to why u disliked it?

I am assuming you have watched the movie, otherwise spoilers ahead.

First off, the backlash the movie is getting is wrong as well.

Critics and other people criticize suddenly that the guy who is played by Rockwell gets a redemption, you know, from racist and violent pig to the guy who is trying to help the protagonist but that is completely wrong since he is still violent (they are literally driving there to kill the guy), only that he is directing the violence somewhere else due to the letter the chief wrote him, he still has the same problems.

Those people have not understood what hte movie is actually about.

What the writer and director is trying to say is, is literally articulated by the priest but the scene gets overshadowed so it looks like any other scene but it´s about people being more than they seem (feelings and thoughts underneath and so on) and that the sympathies we might give out pretty quickly can be quite faulty, and that people are messy and not defined by their "superficial" roles, and that in the end, humanity still can connect us all (the scene where the chief spits out blood is one of the key scenes, they are literally going at each other verbally in a "war" as the chief himself called it, in the next moment she is calling him baby and trying to nurture him).

I mean in the beginning, the protagonist seems in the right, and everyone else seems in the wrong. You have the chief who is trying to intimidate the owner of the billboards, you have the racist who beats and tortures people, you have the unsympathetic guy who is screaming around and insulting people and so on, and that is opposed by a grieving mother.

It´s a setup that has been done before, the oppressor and the oppressed, at least to a certain extent, the one who seeks justice and the ones that do not really care.

And then you learn about the chief having cancer, and supporting Mildred, you leanr how Mildred treated her children and how easy it comes her to destroy someone´s feelings (in this case, Peter Dinklage´s character), you see how she is ready to throw cocktails at hte police station, you learn how Rockwell´s cop character is influenced by his mother and so on.

So in the end you have messy characters which are not good or bad but simply messy trying to live their lives, contrary to the usual narrative of good vs bad, especially in such movies.

Problem is, the characters both in the beginning and ending seem more like caricatures rather than real characters you might meet in real life, and that is important since the aim of the director is to give a realistic portrayal that is not bound by good and bad like in most stories.

Rockwell´s character of course is dumb as hell, lives with his mother, is violent and so on, like they took the character from a Dave Chappelle´s show sketch rather than real life.

Same for Mildred who is basically a compilation of the actresses most known characters except in Fargo which are completely misplaced here.

And that destroys the whole point of the entire movie really.

qhz8b56l.png

#349 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

Takekuya, you shouldnt write long posts. There are people who do this, they are shun by the majority

24gvaiu.jpg

#350 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

Regarding Three Billboards I found it to be one the funniest movies  of 2017 .Surprised to see it labelled as a crime/drama .

Edited by Professor, 16 February 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#351 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Takekuya, you shouldnt write long posts. There are people who do this, they are shun by the majority

Since the majority thinks Marvel movies are the best things ever, it´s not the worst thing to be shun by said majority :whistle:

• Fulmine, Urek Mazino and Revenant like this

qhz8b56l.png

#352 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Since the majority thinks Marvel movies are the best things ever, it´s not the worst thing to be shun by said majority :whistle:

Takekuya, couldnt have expected any less from you.

24gvaiu.jpg

#353 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Really yet u don't tell him to use spoiler tags

#354 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

Since the majority thinks Marvel movies are the best things ever

Best? No. Good action/summer entertainment? Yes. I don't think a franchise has been this consistent in action films ever.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#355 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

Saw the Greatest Showman and maaann did it suck. The music I guess is good., but everything in the middle isn't. the plot is very rushed and they don't give a lot of time to developing the characters. Narrative is just all over the place and because of that the music has no impact. 

The entire thing also isn't very cinematic. It feels like it should just be a play and not a feature film. 

Edited by secretzfan, 20 February 2018 - 10:49 AM.

#356 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:06 AM

So I'm downloading Phantom Thread and start watching the Oscar nominated from today.

Is this year any good? I have only seen Get Out and Dunkirk.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#357 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,093 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

So I'm downloading Phantom Thread and start watching the Oscar nominated from today.

The Shape of Water is pretty good....I haven't gotten around to watching the other ones yet but all I heard were great things about Lady Bird

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#358 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

I liked 3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri 

#359 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

But theres also somewhat of a saying I used to hear me: "if something is unanimously praised, it's probably trash". Now, I don't take this as gospel, but I find that most of the things that are universally praised or consumed aren't really the best of what their medium has to offer. That's not to say that they're necessarily trash, but most of them just don't compare to the works of the real masters.

Its risky to be an artist, because youll always be appealing to people that really care about interesting film-making. The Oscars are about marketing first and foremost, so it's really hard for someone like Lynch for example to be recognized because of just how he makes his movies. After all, if he won and people massively started watching his movie and not liking it, the Oscars would lose their credibility in the eyes of the celebrity worshipping lobotomites that support them.

But over all, I don't think any of these directors care about the Oscars. They probably know this shit more than you and I combined. They don't care, their work speak for themselves.

+1 for that bolded part

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#360 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,766 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

might as well talk about it here.

No Game No Life Zero was a great movie and i think it is a much watch.

• Tokoya likes this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users