Movie Discussion

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#501 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Raimi has a style to it, he likes to build this campy/serious dichotomy in his films, but he never really outright references it, like in the X-Men.

Actually... he did:

Tim Burton did it too, in the scene at the Axis Chemical Plant when Jack Napier first lays eyes on Batman's costume. And later during the parade scene, the Joker quips that Batman was at home (quote): "washing his tights".

There's more subtlety to Raimis works, but he still prioritizes his own vision over just making a faithful adaptation. He makes his movies almost surreal in a way, he's not just winking at the audience.

There's nothing subtle about this scene, where J. Jonah and his assistant come up with Dr. Octavius' supervillain name, by referencing Dr. Strange. I'd say that's winking at the audience.

#502 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

Actually... he did:

Tim Burton did it too, in the scene at the Axis Chemical Plant when Jack Napier first lays eyes on Batman's costume. And later during the parade scene, the Joker quips that Batman was at home (quote): "washing his tights".

There's nothing subtle about this scene, where J. Jonah and his assistant come up with Dr. Octavius' supervillain name, by referencing Dr. Strange. I'd say that's winking at the audience.

That's not the same thing though. In the X-Men scene they're referencing the actual comic, in this they're just making an awkward elevator scene where the suit would obviously be addressed. It's not self referential. That JJJ scene is probably one of the few times the movies actually break the fourth wall, but for the most part the humor isn't referential.

Look, we could be doing this all fucking week just discussing each individual scene in the Trilogy, but that wasn't even the actual point. Raimis has a specific style of absurdity and campiness to pretty much all of his movies, there's really no debating that, he's known for that. All you're doing is trying to claim that some times people have done something similar once or twice, which is just not interesting to me, or practical. Tone is something that should be obvious, it's not something you have to explain, otherwise, it fails. It's like if I was talking about the Shining and you bring up that the paranormal activity movies kinda did something similar that one time. If you don't get the tone of the movie, then there's really nothing that I can say that's gonna help ya. So as to not further waste our time, I'll be going home now.

#503 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Dangal

10/10

Beautiful film

#504 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:59 AM

But Raimi specifically does it in a very self aware manner. The 70s superman was goofy because that's what they though would be more appealing, but Raimi has a style to it, he likes to build this campy/serious dichotomy in his films, but he never really outright references it, like in the X-Men. There's more subtlety to Raimis works, but he still prioritizes his own vision over just making a faithful adaptation. He makes his movies almost surreal in a way, he's not just winking at the audience.

Well the Christopher Reeves Superman was pretty good(although they should've stopped at 2). A lot better than the last two updated Superman flicks. Oh, and talking about Superman, did anyone watch the Death Of Superman yet?(newest DC animation movie).

Posted Image

#505 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

R.I.P. to Burt Reynolds
Pusha T - Story of Adidon

#506 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:30 PM

@Tokoya just watched M.I.6 and thought it was great, i knew of the action but felt that i knew a certain person wasn't who they're weren't supposed to be lol

Still up in the air of which film i liked most, 4, 5 or 6?

Edited by Doan, 15 September 2018 - 09:35 PM.

• Tokoya likes this

#507 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:29 AM

Now THIS is the Transformers movie we deserve.....PLEASE BE GOOD AND PROPERLY HONOUR THE G1 GREATNESS :cry:

• Doan and Urek Mazino like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#508 Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:48 AM

Now THIS is the Transformers movie we deserve.....PLEASE BE GOOD AND PROPERLY HONOUR THE G1 GREATNESS :cry:

Courtesy of the YouTube comment section: Travis Knight superior, Michael Bay inferior.

This is my new most anticipated (blockbuster) movie of 2018.

International Bumblebee trailer: https://f.us.sinaimg...=unistore,video
  • Tokoya likes this

XE6c6KC.png?2

Spoiler If Milareppa/Episteme were OP fans :P (posts by Eric Ester Burgos & Jae Johnson & Two Cents @ http://mangastream.c...ment-1216310802)

#509 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

Im pretty excited for this movie anyway but I gotta admit. This trailer really didn;t add to my hype. I mean the first half of the trailer was great and so was the comedy and all that but when I got to the part with Optimus Prime and the big action scene I just saw every Transformer movie ever again. This movie has the potential to have a lot of heart and emotion in it though without feeling forced. 

#510 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

What i loved about it was they actually made the characters look the way they were in the original show

Edited by Doan, 26 September 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#511 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

• ddboy102, Doan, Royal_King and 1 other like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#512 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:08 AM

• Doan, Royal_King and trafalgarlawisop like this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#513 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

• Royal_King likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#514 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

Looks identical to the cartoon imo

• Blackody and trafalgarlawisop like this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#515 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

That's the point. The live action movies still have to capture the characters and art direction of the original.

Aladdin is possibly my favorite Disney renaissance film of the 90's with Mulan as second... I still wonder why they could not cast Shang when the whole point of these films is to see our beloved characters in real life forms...

#516 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

That's the point. The live action movies still have to capture the characters and art direction of the original.

Aladdin is possibly my favorite Disney renaissance film of the 90's with Mulan as second... I still wonder why they could not cast Shang when the whole point of these films is to see our beloved characters in real life forms...

Too bad Gilbert G. isn't doing the Parrot and Robin Williams died. . .

Wil Smith as Genie? Eh. . .I dunno if he could capture it like Robin did.

Posted Image

#517 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#518 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:53 AM

my husband

who going to see him movie.

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#519 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:18 AM

my husband

who going to see him movie.

Raises hand

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#520 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

Take all of my fucking money Disney

• Royal_King likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users