• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#581 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

And this is why I'm worried about Alita. . .of which I've found two big errors just from watching the trailer-

1) They got the title backwards. Its supposed to be Battle Angel Alita, NOT Alita Battle Angel. . .its like calling Star Wars, Wars Star.

2) From what I can tell Ido in the movie doesn't have his Tipharies Forehead Tattoo. That's a big screw up right there and its not like that tattoo is elaborate or would be difficult for the FX/Make Up people to do.

I never had faith in that movie. That CGI face looks ridiculous.

#582 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

Looks rather so/so. 

My only major issue is that the main "kid," looks too old. 

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#583 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,376 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:18 AM

I had no idea Alita was made into film...so after GITS we have more, eh? Hope one day they do Eden It's An Endless World

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#584 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:52 AM

So first off; Jafar doesn't come off as menacing. Just some guy reading his lines in a boring manner. 

An then there's Genie played by Will Smith. Yeah it's just Will Smith being Will Smith again. About all you can say really. 

#585 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

So first off; Jafar doesn't come off as menacing. Just some guy reading his lines in a boring manner. 

An then there's Genie played by Will Smith. Yeah it's just Will Smith being Will Smith again. About all you can say really. 

For me, Jafar was never that menacing. But yeah that actor seems to be in it for the pay check. 

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#586 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

For anyone who's a fan of Ni No Kuni. There's going to be a animated feature film this summer in Japan. 

http://www.rpgfan.co.../2019/8743.html

#587 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

I never had faith in that movie. That CGI face looks ridiculous.

They wanted to go with 'realistic anime eyes' which has never translated well. Also James Cameron, the producer, is a so blatant when putting his personal politics into any movie he does and that what makes me really worried.

Edited by Graeystone, 11 February 2019 - 04:26 PM.

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#588 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

They wanted to go with 'realistic anime eyes' which has never translated well. Also James Cameron, the producer, is a so blatant when putting his personal politics into any movie he does and that what makes me really worried.

beside maybe avatar when has he put his personal politics in movies? 

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#589 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,303 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:18 AM

Y'all out here worrying about Will, whilst I'm out here trying to figure out why they couldn't do a better job with that CG for his genie
  • Five-Tailed-Fenrir likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#590 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

beside maybe avatar when has he put his personal politics in movies? 

Terminator with an anti-AI/Robot near luddite attitude. The Abyss - Evils of drilling for oil in the ocean. Titantic - Economic Class Stereotypes.

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#591 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

The awards for best cinematography, film editing, live action short, makeup and hair styling will be presented during the commercial break for the upcoming Oscars.
Editing and cinematography are too important to get the shaft,what a stupid decision.

Edited by Professor, 12 February 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#592 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:59 PM

Terminator with an anti-AI/Robot near luddite attitude. The Abyss - Evils of drilling for oil in the ocean. Titantic - Economic Class Stereotypes.

that is so nickpicking you can say that about anymovie if you look close enough.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#593 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

that is so nickpicking you can say that about anymovie if you look close enough.

How often have I said that when telling a story any point like the stuff I mentioned should be subtle and not in the face of the veiwers/readers?

z8EE0.png

#594 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

Because subtlety isn't Cameron's style. He likes to hammer his points home no matter how simplistic and unreal the situations get. He's a classic romantic in that regard.

Though I wouldn't say anything he's alluded to has to do with politics. It seems more just so the audience has an easy time understanding the movie. I also think the Terminator movies had more of an anti nuke vibe.

Edited by Revenant, 12 February 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#595 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

How often have I said that when telling a story any point like the stuff I mentioned should be subtle and not in the face of the veiwers/readers?

no, you can name any movie and see that kind of crap.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#596 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

no, you can name any movie and see that kind of crap.

I think what hes saying is that Cameron makes it a point to hammer these themes in a way that it encompasses the whole movie, which is very much true for some of them. He has zero subtlety, which some viewers rightfully see as patronizing and simplistic. His movies are very well made, but theyre not much more than the flair he manages to expertly bring to the screen. Which isnt to say that is a bad thing on itself, after all T2 is one of my all time favorite movies.

#597 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:33 PM

I think what hes saying is that Cameron makes it a point to hammer these themes in a way that it encompasses the whole movie, which is very much true for some of them. He has zero subtlety, which some viewers rightfully see as patronizing and simplistic. His movies are very well made, but theyre not much more than the flair he manages to expertly bring to the screen. Which isnt to say that is a bad thing on itself, after all T2 is one of my all time favorite movies.

to prove my point. Old Disney movies are just basically saying women are only good sleeping or cooking. Now, they all about girl power. Most Marvel and the original Ghostbusters are anti-big government. John wick and movies like it are pro gun. On and on. You guys are being nick picky about movies.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#598 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:42 AM

to prove my point. Old Disney movies are just basically saying women are only good sleeping or cooking. Now, they all about girl power. Most Marvel and the original Ghostbusters are anti-big government. John wick and movies like it are pro gun. On and on. You guys are being nick picky about movies.

Ok, there are multiple things wrong with your post.

First of all, you're not proving your point by taking what I'm saying about Cameron and applying to other people and movies. Youre just exaggerating your examples so as to make my own point seem ridiculous.

Second, you completely missed my and Gray's point. We're not complaining that Cameron's movies have themes or allusions in them. We're complaining that he doesn't handle them with any particular grace or intelligence. He's preachy, and a movie should drive a theme, not preach it to the audience.

Third, I don't really get what your point is. Are you saying that Cameron's movies don't try to have a message to them? Are you saying there wasn't a criticism of social status in Titanic? Are you saying that men encroaching on nature wasn't put on a negative light in Avatar? Because there's no debating that.

Edited by Revenant, 13 February 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#599 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:31 AM

More times than not people watch/read fiction for two reason-

1) To read/see/hear a good story.

2) To get away from real world crap/drama for awhile.

When story tellers ignore the second the first greatly suffers(good story).

z8EE0.png

#600 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

Dune Reboot cast damn

52777668_10157044386736060_1820920246349

• Tokoya likes this

HXZmyoy.jpg