#1 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Just as last season we'll use this thread to discuss all the seasonal shows that don't need a thread of their own (ie. BHnA, Re:Creators, Boruto, Kakegurui, etc.)

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

So far I've seen the premieres of...

Welcome to the Ballroom
Koi to Uso
New Game!!
Tsurezure Children
Knights & Magic
In a Different World with a Smartphone
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Netsuzou Trap
Restaurant to Another World
Made in Abyss
Princess Principal

I'll be honest I haven't been that impressed with most of the shows so far including a few I didn't list because I couldn't even make through the first episode, that said last few definitely have potential. Thankfully I still have Virgin Soul, Sakura Quest, plus the clubhouse series (Re: Creators and Kakegurui) otherwise this would be a pretty weak season.

Still I've enjoyed shows in the past despite not liking the first episode so I'll give some of these a second chance and maybe they'll surprise me. I'll do a more detailed review in a later post.

Edited by Goddess Nike, 11 July 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• Tokoya, Candles and Kid Frost like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#2 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

To me Princess Principal and Restaurant to Another World were the best of the new shows this season while Isekai Smartphone was easily the worst of anything I managed to finish. Sakura Quest has also been growing on me these last few episodes.

Edited by Candles, 11 July 2017 - 05:35 PM.

• Tokoya and Goddess Nike like this

#3 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

https://onemangaforu...on-summer-2017/

We should go ahead and merge these threads if possible.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#4 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

All I've been hearing are bad things about the Isekai Smartphone thing lol and I have it loaded up and ready to go, but I have little to no motivation to start it right away 

Other than that, as I said in the Clubhouse thread, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal have had imo the best first episodes of the season (Excluding Kakegurui) and I really feel like they will indeed be the hidden gems/dark horses of this summer season

Other than that, I really enjoyed and would also endorse all of the anime on this list, except I would probably switch Aoyama-kun (By far the funniest thing I've seen this season - Episode 2 had me DEAD) in the Top 10 instead of Knights and Magic

NTR is gonna be my guilty pleasure though (Next to Hajimete no Gal of course huehuehuehue) xD And even though Tsurezure Children is unfortunately an anime short, it's still pretty enjoyable as a romance series and likewise with Konbini Kareshi (It's SoL heavy but it has potential to kill it and also be a good romance series too)

Edited by Tokoya, 11 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

• Candles and Goddess Nike like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#5 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

We should go ahead and merge these threads if possible.

There's no need, that thread is more of an anticipation thread to talk about anime for the upcoming season which is why it was opened back in early April, it's already served it's purpose to be honest.

This is the actual thread for discussion of the summer seasonal shows minus the clubhouse ones which have their own thread. It was the same way last season so I don't see an issue. 

To me Princess Principal and Restaurant to Another World were the best of the new shows this season while Isekai Smartphone was easily the worst of anything I managed to finish.

I don't want to be to harsh on it but when compared with another Isekai series from last summer Re: Zero makes Isekai wa Smartphone seem like something a kid wrote. Hopefully Princess Principal and Isekai Shokudou can be as good as 91 Days and Sweetness and Lightning from last summer to balance it out. It's good that New Game is back, it was one of my favorites from last year.

I'm still not sure what to make of Koi to Uso, the anime has better pacing than the manga since the latter has ridiculously short chapters but the character designs (specifically the eyes) is so off putting that it kind of distracts me while watching.

• Candles likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

Isekai Shokudou can be as good as 91 Days and Sweetness and Lightning

Isekai Shokudou feels more like Shougeki no Souma to me minus the foodgasms and competition but I can see the comparison to Sweetness and Lightning 

the character designs (specifically the eyes) is so off putting that it kind of distracts me while watching.

That's my only criticism tbh.....This is another series where I'm beyond conflicted because I love both girls and wouldn't mind the MC being with either of them, but at the same time I'm still rooting for Yukari to be with Misaki but then I want to give the world to Ririna and see her be happy forever and always and I feel like Yukari could make this into a reality (Like seriously FML right now lol)

Edited by Tokoya, 11 July 2017 - 07:23 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

All I've been hearing are bad things about the Isekai Smartphone thing lol and I have it loaded up and ready to go, but I have little to no motivation to start it right away

It's not horrific or anything like that but as Nike said because we've been getting series in the same genre such as Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Youjo Senki who all manage to do something interesting with the premise of a character being reborn in another world this feels almost bland and empty by comparison. It also doesn't help that while Subaru, Kazuma, and Tanya were all flawed and interesting characters this protagonist is so tepid that I've already forgotten his name despite watching to show earlier today. I'm not even being sardonic I literally don't remember his name. It's probably an average show but with stellar recent entries in the same genre it doesn't feel like it's trying hard enough...of course this all based off one episode so it may get way better but for now it's not looking too good.

I'm glad they both have decent line-ups this season but jumping back and forth between Crunchy Roll and Amazon is getting tedious. Compulsive Gambler seems like it could've been one of the better shows this season but it's Netflix series so I'll marathon it once the season is over.

• Tokoya, Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#8 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Gamers and Classroom of the Elite both had solid first episodes, especially the latter which has the potential to be one of the more interesting shows this season. That said with it's second episode Princess Principal was easily the stand out again this week, I'm a little surprised that it's my favorite of the new shows this season.

The pacing of Koi to Uso continues to make it a strong adaptation of it's source material, (though I can't get used to Amazon translating Lilina as Ririna).
The family reunion in Virgin Soul was nice to finally see though the gods continue to be hypocrites. I'm also really liking the bond developing between Nina and Jean.

2h7297a.jpg

#9 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Princess Principal was enjoyable again this week but the second episode of New Game was just as good imo.

On the other hand I hope Restaurant to Another World starts to do something new in it's next few weeks because I don't know how many more episodes with the same formula I can take before it gets tiresome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users