#1 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Just as last season we'll use this thread to discuss all the seasonal shows that don't need a thread of their own (ie. BHnA, Re:Creators, Boruto, Kakegurui, etc.)

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

So far I've seen the premieres of...

Welcome to the Ballroom
Koi to Uso
New Game!!
Tsurezure Children
Knights & Magic
In a Different World with a Smartphone
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Netsuzou Trap
Restaurant to Another World
Made in Abyss
Princess Principal

I'll be honest I haven't been that impressed with most of the shows so far including a few I didn't list because I couldn't even make through the first episode, that said last few definitely have potential. Thankfully I still have Virgin Soul, Sakura Quest, plus the clubhouse series (Re: Creators and Kakegurui) otherwise this would be a pretty weak season.

Still I've enjoyed shows in the past despite not liking the first episode so I'll give some of these a second chance and maybe they'll surprise me. I'll do a more detailed review in a later post.

Edited by Goddess Nike, 11 July 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• Tokoya, Candles and Kid Frost like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#2 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

To me Princess Principal and Restaurant to Another World were the best of the new shows this season while Isekai Smartphone was easily the worst of anything I managed to finish. Sakura Quest has also been growing on me these last few episodes.

Edited by Candles, 11 July 2017 - 05:35 PM.

• Tokoya and Goddess Nike like this

#3 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

https://onemangaforu...on-summer-2017/

We should go ahead and merge these threads if possible.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#4 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

All I've been hearing are bad things about the Isekai Smartphone thing lol and I have it loaded up and ready to go, but I have little to no motivation to start it right away 

Other than that, as I said in the Clubhouse thread, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal have had imo the best first episodes of the season (Excluding Kakegurui) and I really feel like they will indeed be the hidden gems/dark horses of this summer season

Other than that, I really enjoyed and would also endorse all of the anime on this list, except I would probably switch Aoyama-kun (By far the funniest thing I've seen this season - Episode 2 had me DEAD) in the Top 10 instead of Knights and Magic

NTR is gonna be my guilty pleasure though (Next to Hajimete no Gal of course huehuehuehue) xD And even though Tsurezure Children is unfortunately an anime short, it's still pretty enjoyable as a romance series and likewise with Konbini Kareshi (It's SoL heavy but it has potential to kill it and also be a good romance series too)

Edited by Tokoya, 11 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

• Candles and Goddess Nike like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#5 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

We should go ahead and merge these threads if possible.

There's no need, that thread is more of an anticipation thread to talk about anime for the upcoming season which is why it was opened back in early April, it's already served it's purpose to be honest.

This is the actual thread for discussion of the summer seasonal shows minus the clubhouse ones which have their own thread. It was the same way last season so I don't see an issue. 

To me Princess Principal and Restaurant to Another World were the best of the new shows this season while Isekai Smartphone was easily the worst of anything I managed to finish.

I don't want to be to harsh on it but when compared with another Isekai series from last summer Re: Zero makes Isekai wa Smartphone seem like something a kid wrote. Hopefully Princess Principal and Isekai Shokudou can be as good as 91 Days and Sweetness and Lightning from last summer to balance it out. It's good that New Game is back, it was one of my favorites from last year.

I'm still not sure what to make of Koi to Uso, the anime has better pacing than the manga since the latter has ridiculously short chapters but the character designs (specifically the eyes) is so off putting that it kind of distracts me while watching.

• Candles likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

Isekai Shokudou can be as good as 91 Days and Sweetness and Lightning

Isekai Shokudou feels more like Shougeki no Souma to me minus the foodgasms and competition but I can see the comparison to Sweetness and Lightning 

the character designs (specifically the eyes) is so off putting that it kind of distracts me while watching.

That's my only criticism tbh.....This is another series where I'm beyond conflicted because I love both girls and wouldn't mind the MC being with either of them, but at the same time I'm still rooting for Yukari to be with Misaki but then I want to give the world to Ririna and see her be happy forever and always and I feel like Yukari could make this into a reality (Like seriously FML right now lol)

Edited by Tokoya, 11 July 2017 - 07:23 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

All I've been hearing are bad things about the Isekai Smartphone thing lol and I have it loaded up and ready to go, but I have little to no motivation to start it right away

It's not horrific or anything like that but as Nike said because we've been getting series in the same genre such as Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Youjo Senki who all manage to do something interesting with the premise of a character being reborn in another world this feels almost bland and empty by comparison. It also doesn't help that while Subaru, Kazuma, and Tanya were all flawed and interesting characters this protagonist is so tepid that I've already forgotten his name despite watching to show earlier today. I'm not even being sardonic I literally don't remember his name. It's probably an average show but with stellar recent entries in the same genre it doesn't feel like it's trying hard enough...of course this all based off one episode so it may get way better but for now it's not looking too good.

I'm glad they both have decent line-ups this season but jumping back and forth between Crunchy Roll and Amazon is getting tedious. Compulsive Gambler seems like it could've been one of the better shows this season but it's Netflix series so I'll marathon it once the season is over.

• Tokoya, Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#8 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Gamers and Classroom of the Elite both had solid first episodes, especially the latter which has the potential to be one of the more interesting shows this season. That said with it's second episode Princess Principal was easily the stand out again this week, I'm a little surprised that it's my favorite of the new shows this season.

The pacing of Koi to Uso continues to make it a strong adaptation of it's source material, (though I can't get used to Amazon translating Lilina as Ririna).
The family reunion in Virgin Soul was nice to finally see though the gods continue to be hypocrites. I'm also really liking the bond developing between Nina and Jean.

2h7297a.jpg

#9 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Princess Principal was enjoyable again this week but the second episode of New Game was just as good imo.

On the other hand I hope Restaurant to Another World starts to do something new in it's next few weeks because I don't know how many more episodes with the same formula I can take before it gets tiresome.

#10 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

What does everybody think about the Reflection now that it has finally premiered?

I'm happy that all of my ships in New Game got some attention this week and it was another solid episode.

I have to agree with Prince in regards to Isekai Shokudou, I've been getting bored with this show since last episode and that documentary on lizardmen didn't help things this week. I hope there will be an ongoing plot eventually because there's a limit to how long I can watch people marvel at things like ketchup and parmesan cheese.

Tsurezure Children was great this week, I wish each episode of that show was longer since I'm enjoying it more than most full length anime from this season. Bad timing from parents is something I think all of us can relate to :lolxg: .

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#11 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

What does everybody think about the Reflection now that it has finally premiered?

I think they are brave to air on the same day as Boku no Hero Academia :lol: ...In all seriousness I didn't make it far into the episode, I didn't like the look so stopped about seven minutes in. I'll come back to it when I have more time.

My top five this week (not counting BnHA which would be number one because that episode was everything)...

1) New Game!!
2) Princess Principal
3) Sakura Quest
4) Koi to Uso
5) Virgin Soul

2h7297a.jpg

#12 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

I thought it was pretty decent and I love how the art style and just overall feel of the show just screams old school comics from as far back as the 60's

Tsurezure Children was great this week, I wish each episode of that show was longer since I'm enjoying it more than most full length anime from this season. Bad timing from parents is something I think all of us can relate to .
LMAO, this episode gave me LIFE xDD

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#13 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

Princess Principal
I love how almost everyone in the group is keeping some sort of secret from the others, it keeps things interesting and makes it hard to predict how things will play out in future episodes. I'm definitely enjoying this more than last year's Joker Game.

Restaurant to Another World
This episode was my favorite since the first one but I hope it's the last that uses this formula. Thankfully from the preview it looks like there will be some new interactions between all the different guests which will hopefully allow for different kinds of stories and add some flavor to this narrative.

Koi to Uso
At this point I've gotten used to the large eyes and general animation style. The only thing about this episode that stands out is that they cut out the scene with Nisaka's ex-girlfriend at the train station, though I'm not sure why since I thought it was important for his character. If my memory serves correctly the next couple of episodes should be interesting, especially for Lili x Neji fans.

New Game!!
Not as much character or plot development this week but it was a really nice and funny episode, plus any focus on Hifumi is always welcome by me.

Tsuredure Children
This episode was as cute as ever, especially the first segment which was also probably one of the more relatable ones in the entire show so far since younger me used to obsess over every little thing when texting a guy I liked. I've also sent messages that I immediately regretted and wanted to go back in time and unsend them. :lolxg:

NTR
I felt bad for Takeda more than ever in this episode, he needs a new girl and a new circle of friends.

Isekai Smartphone
In Ero-manga Sensei the majority of the popular light novel authors were middle school and high school kids and I'm wondering if that is a thing in real life because this show seriously feels like it was written by someone in middle school. Everything is so lazy and amateurish and it takes absolutely no risks with it's plot or characters.

Shingeki no Bahamat: Virgin Soul
I still don't really get the relationship between Charioce and Nina, I mean I get that they're romantically into each other but I don't feel the show has put in the effort for us to understand why. One of things I like about Nina is how direct and honest she is, that could've been an annoying episode with another heroine.

• Tokoya likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#14 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

This new episode solidified Princess Principal as my number 1 favorite anime from this season.....Man this show is too great

• Kid Frost likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#15 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

I watched the first episode of Made in Abyss, and it's really good! The animations, sounds and overall art is movie quality. While it does have little chibis as the mc's it seems like it will go down a very dark path, some people been saying it has a very dark story, so ill be looking forward to watching more! 

• Tokoya likes this

#16 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

This new episode solidified Princess Principal as my number 1 favorite anime from this season.....Man this show is too great

I was ready to agree with this especially after episode six but then I watched the most recent episode of New Game and now it's back to being tied for me. The highlight of the episode was the competition between Aoba and Yagami; the reasoning behind the directors decision made sense but I like that Aoba has enough competitive fire and ambition that she wanted a shot at the key visual even if she knew she wouldn't win. The outcome was predictable but reaction was what made the episode great.
Also I was really impressed with Nene's game, especially since she had no prior knowledge of programming before she started on it. I still remember the first game I made with my brother, it was mostly nonsense but we were so proud to have made something.

Episode six of PriPri was great as usual but I wonder why all of the girls have such terrible relationships with their fathers (one was experimented on, another had a fight to the death, and now we have one being beaten to the point of running away)? It seems too much to be a coincidence but it also doesn't seem to be connecting to any greater theme or narrative. It seems Dorothy is going to have it out for that girl that killed her father, they had a confrontation in episode two as well.

My favorite couples in Tsurezure Children are Chiaki x Kana, Takase x Kanada, Souma x Saejima, Furuya x Minagawa, Kaji x Akagi, and Ubukata x Shibasaki so I would love this show to be centered on just them but unfortunately not all the couples from the manga are in the anime but I'll take what I can get since I like these characters so much. Hopefully there's another season for the other characters.

Other than Sakura Quest which finished another great arc everything else was just okay to me this week. I still need to catch up with Made in Abyss and Welcome to Ballroom as I'm still on episode two for both of those.

Edited by Kid Frost, 19 August 2017 - 04:38 PM.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

#17 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

I was ready to agree with this especially after episode six but then I watched the most recent episode of New Game and now it's back to being tied for me. The highlight of the episode was the competition between Aoba and Yagami; the reasoning behind the directors decision made sense but I like that Aoba has enough competitive fire and ambition that she wanted a shot at the key visual even if she knew she wouldn't win. The outcome was predictable but reaction was what made the episode great.
Also I was really impressed with Nene's game, especially since she had no prior knowledge of programming before she started on it. I still remember the first game I made with my brother, it was mostly nonsense but we were so proud to have made something.

Episode six of PriPri was great as usual but I wonder why all of the girls have such terrible relationships with their fathers (one was experimented on, another had a fight to the death, and now we have one being beaten to the point of running away)? It seems too much to be a coincidence but it also doesn't seem to be connecting to any greater theme or narrative. It seems Dorothy is going to have it out for that girl that killed her father, they had a confrontation in episode two as well.

My favorite couples in Tsurezure Children are Chiaki x Kana, Takase x Kanada, Souma x Saejima, Furuya x Minagawa, Kaji x Akagi, and Ubukata x Shibasaki so I would love this show to be centered on just them but unfortunately not all the couples from the manga are in the anime but I'll take what I can get since I like these characters so much. Hopefully there's another season for the other characters.

Other than Sakura Quest which finished another great arc everything else was just okay to me this week. I still need to catch up with Made in Abyss and Welcome to Ballroom as I'm still on episode two for both of those.

Yeah, New Game S2 has been killing it, especially with the last 2 episodes so I can't fault you for that lol

Other than that, Tsurezure is freaking HILARIOUS man xDDD And yeah you better catch up in Ballroom and Made in Abyss (The latter had a CRAZY GOOD episode yesterday)

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#18 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

When Momo and Naru were first introduced in New Game I was worried that they would throw some my ships off course but since they already live together and have great chemistry I can just ship them with each other. Seriously though I think they're fine additions to the cast and serve as good potential rivals to Aoba and Nene respectively.

I was really happy last week when it looked like Gamers was finally moving past it's usage of misunderstandings to drive the plot but now this week we're back to same thing. I still liked this episode but I wish all the characters could get on the same page finally.

Due to being busy I've pretty much given up on catching up with Made in Abyss so I'll just marathon it once this season ends.

• Tokoya and Goddess Nike like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

#19 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

Tsuredure Children
This episode was great, easily one of my favorites of the season, especially the last segment. They won't show much more of it because there's only one episode left but Kaji's character development and journey of self improvement is one of my favorite parts of the manga. Also Kana and Chiaki can never catch a break.

New Game
As far as new characters go I like Naru much more than Momo so an episode partially focused on her was nice to see. Also nice to see is Nene continued ambition towards becoming a professional programmer and Yagami's growth as a leader.

NTR
I'm glad Takeda has moved on from everything, I don't care about anyone else in this show.

Princess Principal
Another really good episode for this show, other than the laundry one I've enjoyed every episode so far. I have to say I didn't see that ending coming, I hope Ange doesn't try to switch back with the Princess to get herself assassinated instead.

• Tokoya likes this

2h7297a.jpg

#20 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

I have been reading some comments on Made in Abyss, and damn some people bash the show big time. Some said that the art was total shit! And here I thought the art was amazing from the very start...... i don't even understand.

One of the funniest comments i saw was this guy saying that Fairy Tail was high-tier/high quality anime while Made in Abyss is shit......... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users