Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:28 AM

I have been reading some comments on Made in Abyss, and damn some people bash the show big time. Some said that the art was total shit! And here I thought the art was amazing from the very start...... i don't even understand.

One of the funniest comments i saw was this guy saying that Fairy Tail was high-tier/high quality anime while Made in Abyss is shit......... 

That's how you know when you're either dealing with bad trolls or simply just the brain dead 

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#22 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Spoiler Made in Abyss Finale

Spoiler Princess Principal Finale

Edited by Tokoya, 29 September 2017 - 12:21 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#23 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

Season Review Questions

1. What anime did you watch this season?
2. Which show was most underrated?
3. Which show was most disappointing?
4. Favorite characters of the season?
5. OTP's of the season? (Whether canon or not)
6. Anime most in need of a sequel? (If one isn't already in the works)
7. Anime with the best animation?
8. Best Opening? Best Ending?
9. How does this season compare to Summer 2016 for you?
10. Anime of the Season?
11. Feel free to review or give an opinion on each series (or not)...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are still a few series I need to finish before I do my own review...

• Tokoya and Kid Frost like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#24 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

Princess Principal (9.2/10)
Restaurant to Another World (7/10)
Koi to Uso (5.5/10)
New Game!! (9.1/10)
Tsurezure Children (8.8/10)
Isekai Smartphone (5/10)
Boruto (8.5/10)
Netsuzou Trap (6/10)
Sakura Quest (8/10)
Virgin Soul (6.5/10)
Gamers (7/10)
Re:Creators (8.5/10)
Kakegurui (8/10)
Boku no Hero Academia (10/10)

I also started Made in Abyss and Classroom of the Elite but was to busy to find time to finish them.

New Game and Tsurezure Children

Virgin Soul and Isekai Smartphone; the former I enjoyed for most of it's run but it really fell apart for me in it's last 4-5 episodes and the latter didn't even try to form a compelling narrative and was by far the most uninspired entry in it's genre in a long time.

Miroriya (BnHA)
Todoroki (BnHA)
Ange (Princess Principal)
Yumeko (Kakegurui)
Mary (Kakegurui)
Selesia (Re:Creators)
Hifumi (New Game)
Aoba (New Game)
Hajime (New Game)

Midoriya x Uraraka (BnHA)
Yagami x Rin (BnHA)
Aoba x Hifumi (New Game)
Hajime x Yun (New Game)
Nene x Yumiko (New Game)
Momo x Narumi (New Game)
Lilina x Neji (Koi to Uso)
Yumeko x Ryota x Mary (Kakegurui)
Boruto x Sarada (Boruto)

6. Anime most in need of a sequel? (If one isn't already in the works)

Princess Principal and Tsurezure Children, everything else either already has a sequel in the works or ended on a satisfactory note for me.

Boku no Hero Academia and Virgin Soul

Kakegurui or Princess Principal for the former and Boku no Hero Academia or Boruto for the latter

I enjoyed it but not as much as last summer (Sweetness and Lightning, 91 Days, Re:Zero, Alderamin on the Sky, Danganronpa 3, etc.). The top four this year were also really good but the bottom was worse than last year.

10. Anime of the Season?

Princess Principal among the series that actually started this season otherwise Boku no Hero Academia runs away as the AOTS with the best adaptation of a battle shounen since Hunter x Hunter.

• Goddess Nike likes this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#25 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'll get to this later today

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#26 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Made in Abyss - 10/10

Princess Principal - 9/10

Restaurant to Another World - 8/10

Koi to Uso - 7/10

Isekai wa Smartphone - 6/10

Gamers - 7/10

Dive! - 6/10

New Game S2 - 8/10

Shingeki no Bahamut S2 - 4/10 (First half was a solid 8-9 and it just went to shit once the second half started -_-)

Vatican Miracle Examiner - 6/10

Shoukoku no Altair - 8/10 so far

Fastest Finger First - 7/10

Sakura Quest - 8/10

Sakurada Reset - 7/10

Knights and Magic - 7/10

Aoyama-kun - 7/10 (Much better version of a series like Sakamoto-san imo)

Touken Ranbu - 7/10

Kakegurui - 8/10

Kyoukai no Rinne S3 - 7/10

Boku no Hero Academia S2 - 10/10

Konbini Kareshi - 6/10

Netsuzou Trap - 5-6/10

Skirt no Naka - Borderline Hentai/10  :perv:

Tsurezure Children - 9/10

Nora to Ouji - 4/10

Hajimete no Gal - 6/10

Classroom of the Elite - 8/10

The Reflection - 6/10

Welcome to the Ballroom - 9/10 so far

Fate/Apocrypha - 7/10 so far

Boruto - 8/10 so far

Re:Creators - 9/10

Princess Principal or Altair for me.....There wasn't really that much discussion for either of them

Sequels - Bahamut S2, New shows - The Reflection

Nanachi (Made in Abyss)

Ange and Dorothy (Princess Principal)

Yame (Hajimete no Gal)

Mordred (Fate Apocrypha)

Misaki (Koi to Uso)

Hyoudou (Welcome to the Ballroom)

Yumeko (Kakegurui) - Best Girl of the Season right here

Mitsuki - Boruto

BakuGOAT and Todoroki - Hero Academia S2

Favaro - Shingeki no Bahamut S2

Misaki x Yukari (Koi to Uso)

Pretty much every couple in Tsurezure Children

Todoroki x Momo (Hero Academia S2)

Hyoudo x Shizuku (Welcome to the Ballroom)

Keita x Tendou (Gamers)

6. Anime most in need of a sequel?

Tsurezure Children (Third most of all)

Princess Principal (MOST OF ALL)

Kakegurui

Classroom of the Elite

Aoyama-kun

Knights and Magic (We need more mecha shows like this)

Made in Abyss (Second most of all)

Boku no Hero Academia and Touken Ranbu (It's Ufotable lol)

Opening is a tie between Princess Principal, Kakegurui and Bahamut S2 for me and Ending would be Hero Academia low difficulty

This summer had stronger shows overall from what I've seen myself....Made in Abyss and Hero Academia S2 kills anything from last summer (Except maybe Souma S2 and Re:Zero, they're all on just about the same level) and I'd put Princess Principal, Re:Creators, Kakegurui, Welcome to the Ballroom and Tsurezure Children up there with the other greats of last summer too like 91 Days, Sweetness and Lightning and Mob Psycho 100

10. Anime of the Season?

In terms of leftovers - Re:Creators

Sequels - Hero Academia S2

New Shows - Made in Abyss (Even though my personal favorite show of the season is Princess Principal)

11. Feel free to review or give an opinion on each series (or not)...

Everything I gave a 7 and higher to, I really enjoyed and would recommend (With the exception to this statement being Hajimete no Gal....I had a lot of good laughs and fun with that show lol)

Edited by Tokoya, 11 October 2017 - 09:45 PM.

• Goddess Nike likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#27 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

Watched Made in Abyss since many people fawned over it, is this what made people fuss so much?

I mean it´s ok, the premise is pretty interesting and the Abyss as a setup provides sheer endless possibilities for both adventure and dangers but

1) They went through each layer way too quickly in my opinion but ok, that´s on the author and how long he wants to make his story, short can have its own merits

2) Main characters and their actions make no sense whatsoever, whether them being children in a society that treats them as children, yet it´s the most normal thing ever that they climb down at least to the first layer even though it has its own dangers, whether Riko is simply a naive yet well read girl who knows about the dangers theoretically but does not seem too much bothered by them (i guess we are supposed to take it that her sense of longing for adventure is bigger than her fear, only that sense of longing is expressed very poorly in the first place), or whether the entire relationship and the level of dependence between Riko and Reg makes no sense. I guess with Reg it could be explained with having some kind of connection to Riko´s mother, but coming from Riko, nope, suddenly that relationship is there and it´s supposed to be credible, hence also emotional for the audience, nope.

Only likeable character in the entire series is Nanachi, the others have not spouted one sentence of something interesting in 13 episodes.

3) The reliance of shock value to show the dark side and repercussions of the Abyss. And that shock value would have been meaningful if the protagonists did not know what they were getting into, but Riko knew exactly everything that happened to her, and despite the dangers her nonchalant behavior, in addition to her being completely useless, is a huge negative aspect.

I was sincerely bored until episode 10 really, until then it had a few highlights but all in all, my only thought after each episode was "probably next episode i will like more, there has to be something" and i got to episode 13 and it was over.

People are way too easily satisfied man, just looking at the MAL rating just makes me shake my head, this is supposed to be better than Cowboy Bebop, all Mushishi seasons, Gurren Lagann, Monster, Fate Zero, Ghost in the Shell, Ping Pong, Kara no Kyoukai and many more?

Ridiculous.

qhz8b56l.png

#28 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

Hm...

Ever since Madoka Magica there has been a trend of series about "horrible things happening to little girls", though it has died down since. Made in Abyss should fit in somewhere in that category, but for some reason it doesn't quite make it. I guess it's because there are no lasting effects? The protagonists go through some serious **** in this series, but they get over whatever's wrong with them very quickly, sometimes within the same episode. It's less "endless despair" and more "inconvenience of the day".

But then, I also didn't much start to pay attention until Nanachi showed up, so maybe I didn't care enough for the two protagonists to begin with, even with their lives at risk at every corner. With that said, I did really like those few last episodes, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to next season. I'd be pissed if something horrible happened to Nanachi next episode.

samisig.jpg

#29 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Both series are trying to aim for the same thing, subversion of specific genre clichés and content.

Madoka deals with the dark implications of an otherwise pretty lighthearted and uplifting genre of magical girls, MiA deals with the implications of such young children going on adventures and such (pretty much what HxH did with Gon as well) since there are many Shounen out there that feature very young protagonists who get through their adventures without too much danger and negative consequences.

The reason why Madoka works very well and MiA does not is the fact that in the former, the dark implications come as a total surprise and hit you very hard. In MiA almost everything that happens to Riko and Reg is already known, same goes for the implications of the Abyss and same for the supposed longing for the unknown. Iirc, supposedly only 10% of the species in the Abyss have been identified or at least named (though how they got that number is beyond me). Nevertheless, every time something happens, Riko already knows about it, which makes her actions that much more foolish and incomprehensible, and at the same time, it takes away the supposed reason she is doing all this shit in the first place, said longing for the unknown, because everything she sees and saw in the show, she already knew about, g

There is of course still the mystery of seventh layer and beyond and what Reg is and what he has to do with Riko´s mother, but an overarching mystery alone can not hold up an entire series.

The MAL rating for the anime at least is ridiculous, and i suppose it´s the same for the manga.

Anything edgy and gory, people immediately jump on it, and then have the audacity to talk about mature content, irony at its worst.

qhz8b56l.png

#30 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

2) Main characters and their actions make no sense whatsoever, whether them being children in a society that treats them as children, yet it´s the most normal thing ever that they climb down at least to the first layer even though it has its own dangers

I'm not sure what you mean here but the exploration of the Abyss is built in the into the fabric of the story and is part of it's central conceit. The children are red whistles and thus official rookie cave raiders and are given assignments to that effect. The idea that they're treated as children is wrong in the first place, the only real restrictions are those that exist between a red whistle and a blue whistle and beyond which is more a testament to skill and experience.
It's similar to Naruto where the main cast are the same age (12) as Riko at the start of the series, missions are given out based on rank rather than age, so a talented ninja could be five years old and given an A-rank mission while an adult ninja that's a genin could still be given C-rank missions. It's treated as the most normal thing because in universe it actually is normal, there's no inconsistency with the central conceit AFAIK.

whether Riko is simply a naive yet well read girl who knows about the dangers theoretically but does not seem too much bothered by them (i guess we are supposed to take it that her sense of longing for adventure is bigger than her fear, only that sense of longing is expressed very poorly in the first place)

I don't think it was expressed poorly or if it was I understood it regardless.

1) Riko has a strong desire to become a white whistle because of her mother long before the series started and which only became stronger after receiving a personal invitation. To me this sentiment is similar to Shirase from A Place Further Than the Universe wanting to go to Antarctica or Gon wanting to become a pro Hunter which in both cases were strongly motivated by the disappearance of their parents.

2) The Abyss is implied to have an allure that is at least partially supernatural so many people are drawn into it despite the fact it's so dangerous that going past the first layer is officially considered a suicide all while knowing that even if they survive they still won't be able to return do to the Curse. The entire town of Orth was built around it's exploration and there's even a religion that worships the Abyss in the place of god.

3) Even with the above Riko's case is still somewhat unique since she was conceived, born, died, and reborn in the Abyss and as an infant started crawling towards the center of the Abyss as her first movements. It's implied that her connection to the Abyss and thus longing is stronger than it would be for the average person.

As far as her lack of relative fear despite knowing the danger, it's implied that Lyza and all white whistles are pretty much mentally unstable and Riko inherited a lot of her mother's traits so she's much closer to insane than naive. I think the nonchalance is meant to show that's she's a bit unhinged without giving her over the top crazy antics you often see in animanga.  

whether the entire relationship and the level of dependence between Riko and Reg makes no sense. I guess with Reg it could be explained with having some kind of connection to Riko´s mother, but coming from Riko, nope, suddenly that relationship is there and it´s supposed to be credible, hence also emotional for the audience, nope.

I would agree that the emotional connection would be forced if I felt that was what they were solely trying to emphasize but to me the dependence is heavily pragmatic. As you pointed out Riko has encyclopedic knowledge of the Abyss because she's been preparing to go there her whole life but her physical abilities are even below that of an average black whistle so she couldn't survive on her own. Reg on the other hand has superhuman strength, durability, and a plasma canon but doesn't know much (or rather probably doesn't remember much) about the Abyss itself whether it be the creatures that inhabit it or the symptoms of each level so he's needs Riko to guide him. They're literally dependent on each other because neither could make it to the bottom alone, that's simply a fact. The emotional connection is there but it will grow naturally over time as they face more adversity together so I don't think it's forced imo.

Ever since Madoka Magica there has been a trend of series about "horrible things happening to little girls", though it has died down since.

That's more along the lines Magical Girl Raising Project and Yuki Yuna is a Hero and other shows; Made in Abyss is more what I imagine would happen if instead of going to Heaven's Arena Gon and Killua went to the Dark Continent without learning nen. Not that we'll ever make it to the Dark Continent at this rate so I can't be sure.

People are way too easily satisfied man, just looking at the MAL rating just makes me shake my head, this is supposed to be better than Cowboy Bebop, all Mushishi seasons, Gurren Lagann, Monster, Fate Zero, Ghost in the Shell, Ping Pong, Kara no Kyoukai and many more?
Ridiculous.

I don't put much stock into MAL ratings but I agree that it's rated higher than a lot of shows that are better than it, even just from 2017 I think Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, BnHA, and Scum's Wish were much better than it let alone some of my all time favorites that you listed but part of that is recency bias plus the fact that it was an Amazon exclusive that had a smaller audience. Once more and more people see it then the score will balance out over time. I think popular opinion has probably already started to turn against it after it won Crunchyroll's Anime Award's Anime of the Year category which some people didn't think it deserved. I liked MiA (more than you at least) but even I would've liked to see that nomination go to Scum's Wish which was the best single cour anime of last year. 

Edited by Kid Frost, 06 April 2018 - 01:23 PM.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#31 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

I'm not sure what you mean here but the exploration of the Abyss is built in the into the fabric of the story and is part of it's central conceit. The children are red whistles and thus official rookie cave raiders and are given assignments to that effect. The idea that they're treated as children is wrong in the first place, the only real restrictions are those that exist between a red whistle and a blue whistle and beyond which is more a testament to skill and experience.
It's similar to Naruto where the main cast are the same age (12) as Riko at the start of the series, missions are given out based on rank rather than age, so a talented ninja could be five years old and given an A-rank mission while an adult ninja that's a genin could still be given C-rank missions. It's treated as the most normal thing because in universe it actually is normal, there's no inconsistency with the central conceit AFAIK.

I don't think it was expressed poorly or if it was I understood it regardless.

1) Riko has a strong desire to become a white whistle because of her mother long before the series started and which only became stronger after receiving a personal invitation. To me this sentiment is similar to Shirase from A Place Further Than the Universe wanting to go to Antarctica or Gon wanting to become a pro Hunter which in both cases were strongly motivated by the disappearance of their parents.

2) The Abyss is implied to have an allure that is at least partially supernatural so many people are drawn into it despite the fact it's so dangerous that going past the first layer is officially considered a suicide all while knowing that even if they survive they still won't be able to return do to the Curse. The entire town of Orth was built around it's exploration and there's even a religion that worships the Abyss in the place of god.

3) Even with the above Riko's case is still somewhat unique since she was conceived, born, died, and reborn in the Abyss and as an infant started crawling towards the center of the Abyss as her first movements. It's implied that her connection to the Abyss and thus longing is stronger than it would be for the average person.

As far as her lack of relative fear despite knowing the danger, it's implied that Lyza and all white whistles are pretty much mentally unstable and Riko inherited a lot of her mother's traits so she's much closer to insane than naive. I think the nonchalance is meant to show that's she's a bit unhinged without giving her over the top crazy antics you often see in animanga.  

I would agree that the emotional connection would be forced if I felt that was what they were solely trying to emphasize but to me the dependence is heavily pragmatic. As you pointed out Riko has encyclopedic knowledge of the Abyss because she's been preparing to go there her whole life but her physical abilities are even below that of an average black whistle so she couldn't survive on her own. Reg on the other hand has superhuman strength, durability, and a plasma canon but doesn't know much (or rather probably doesn't remember much) about the Abyss itself whether it be the creatures that inhabit it or the symptoms of each level so he's needs Riko to guide him. They're literally dependent on each other because neither could make it to the bottom alone, that's simply a fact. The emotional connection is there but it will grow naturally over time as they face more adversity together so I don't think it's forced imo.

That's more along the lines Magical Girl Raising Project and Yuki Yuna is a Hero and other shows; Made in Abyss is more what I imagine would happen if instead of going to Heaven's Arena Gon and Killua went to the Dark Continent without learning nen. Not that we'll ever make it to the Dark Continent at this rate so I can't be sure.

I don't put much stock into MAL ratings but I agree that it's rated higher than a lot of shows that are better than it, even just from 2017 I think Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, BnHA, and Scum's Wish were much better than it let alone some of my all time favorites that you listed but part of that is recency bias plus the fact that it was an Amazon exclusive that had a smaller audience. Once more and more people see it then the score will balance out over time. I think popular opinion has probably already started to turn against it after it won Crunchyroll's Anime Award's Anime of the Year category which some people didn't think it deserved. I liked MiA (more than you at least) but even I would've liked to see that nomination go to Scum's Wish which was the best single cour anime of last year. 

Which is my point, the fact that children are included in such a ranking. Either you create a society of merits instead of age and seniority, then you have children being allowed to do dangerous stuff as consistent with the world.

Or you have a parallel society to our own but with a spin, in this case the fact that the society is heavily influenced by the lurking shadow of the Abyss.

But this is half-hearted, children are still children for most people (putting the guy who used the orphans as experiments aside), yet it is the most normal thing that they are cave raiders, even if it´s just the first layer, even that layer has its dangers.

Maybe i am missing the point and this is another subversion of the usual ranking society that such animes and mangas feature, but if so it´s very badly done.

Naruto had the former, your existence and relevance as a ninja was not determined by your age but by your merit and what powers you possess.

I know that´s one major motivator for her, has nothing to do with my point though.

And that sense of supernatural draw was not articulated credibly, even remotely. Sure, maybe Riko might be special in that regard but even then, you gotta get that point across credibly in this context.

She is naive. Just think about the scene in which she goes into the water since there are a type of insects cleaning it, without thinking about the possible dangers. She is ont celebrating the danger, or looking for it, she is ismply nonchalant about it.

I would agree with you if that was what is expressed. If it was pragmatic, you would not get statements like "without Reg, it´s all meaningless", or "Riko, you have to live, i can´t live witjhout you", this has nothing to do with pragmatism.

For the most part, MAL at least gives a credible tendency for shows. There is on need to dwell on exact ratings but the general trend is justifiable for most shows, but putting MiA alongside these great animes and mangas is not one for me.

qhz8b56l.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users