Photo

Fairy Tail Chapter 545 Discussion (Final Chapter)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Saya

Saya

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationIn the front row sit of a cinema

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

I will miss FT, I cried when I read this chapter.
  • Blue22 likes this

#42 Fiore Harvenheit

Fiore Harvenheit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

oh yeah I was counting with someone mentioning Acquarious key today, but guess it's just not that important now hey?

^This!!!

​I was disappointed. Honestly I feel cheated of a Celestial Spirit Arc - oh well... a girl can always hope for something in the future (even if the possibility is nonexistent).

#43 Fenrix

Fenrix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Well. That was it. I enjoyed FT as an overall. It had more downs that ups, but still it was decent
Now 2 questions:

1) Considering everything we know now about FT, should it ever have gained a position among the "Big 3" like it did?

I think that at it's prime--which IMO was right up until the beginning of the GMG arc--FT deserved to have gained a position among the Big 3 because it really was a good and engaging story during the time where the others (at least Naruto and Bleach) were beginning their downfall. I would always look forward to a FT chapter as opposed to a Naruto/Bleach chapter, so it became a good replacement for my weekly fix of manga entertainment. Since then, it steadily went downhill with the most drastic drop happening at the beginning of the Alvarez Empire arc. 

Although FT holds a special place in my heart and memories similar to that of the "Big 3", it didn't have the depth that I wanted in order to solidify it with that grouping when thinking of it retrospectively on the macro level. 

Edited by Fenrix, 23 July 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#44 nosebleed

nosebleed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

Mashima may revisit this series later because of the ending.  Some Shaman King: Flowers type of follow up, a one shot, or maybe some mini-series.

To me it seems that he got writers block or got tired of writing this manga after he went all out with those spin offs.  Instead of going on hiatus for years, he decided to rush to an ending and that was that.

#45 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,142 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:06 AM

It's so sad to think it was the last one. I was quite surprised nothing was said about Aquarius too. Oh well.

As for the ending itself, I'm glad it wasn't a bigger timeskip with all of them with kids and all. Like that was nice, at least Natsu wasn't out of character. It felt a bit forced for Gray already, it would have been awful with Natsu. The fact he said he likes Anna just because she smells like Lucy is more than enough. 

Quite surprised Sherria can use magic again.

And for Luxus, it was awesome; I love the fact that Mashima didn't choose and showed him with several girls at his feet! 

• Chillman likes this

#46 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

Mashima may revisit this series later because of the ending.  Some Shaman King: Flowers type of follow up, a one shot, or maybe some mini-series.

To me it seems that he got writers block or got tired of writing this manga after he went all out with those spin offs.  Instead of going on hiatus for years, he decided to rush to an ending and that was that.

This is pretty consistent with how he writes imo. It's more about friendship and the guild than relationships.

#47 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:17 AM

It is so sad to see it end, FT was never the best manga and was never going to win anything, but it something relaxing yy could tell the author had fun with and didbt ever get too full of himself when writing.

Evergreen and elfman? I liked that idea back in the games but i could of sworn i havent seen any hints of it since then.

I guess.... your body....should be mine.... what the hell? Is that a miss translation? Or is gary just as smooth as a cobble stone road? Well...in all fairness... i guess that is how you tell a woman who has stalked you ever since she meet you that you like her.... idk something is just really strange about this pairing, i am not trying to hate, but i honestly thought at the end of FT gary was going to either tell juvia he is gay, or he has a wife.

Lucy was worried about being a bride? She has rolled around in a barrel naked with natsu but spending the night with him is what stops her from being a bride.

Holy crap...... mavis and zeff are back? Seriously? For real? What is actually going on..... i thought oda was bad bringing ace back by retconning luffy a second brother, but ths right here, this was just stupid.

Also, i always assumed zeff was an adult, idk why the fact he is short and young looking never made me think he was 12-14 i figured he was just an adult with a young look like nearly all anime characters... i meam if naruto can be 17 i dont see why zeff cant be. But mavis always looked 12 her entire life, so something about their paring now that they arnt immortals any more is kinda weird....

Also, thanks for ending the manga with the one biggest continuity error you made hiro. Hades said "do fairys have tails...... the origin of the guild's name probably came from that thought"

http://3.p.mpcdn.net...9/389514/14.jpg

Probably?!?!! You were there moron you kmow damm well that is where it came from, in the FT zero spin off you are standing next to mavis when she explains what the name means......

I was really surprised by the ammount of fan service in this last chapter, i thought knowing hiro he was going to have the final chapter happen on a beach with non stop bikini pannels and minium one shot of lucy per page.

Last thoughts....ever.... the 100 year quest at the end.
1st guildartz missed alot of cana growing up because of the 100 year quest, they will be gone a long time. If that is the case gary who is now liking juvia wont be seeing her, erza is falling for jellal. Wont be seeing him, wendy will spend most of her adult life on ths quest.
2nd guess lucy's key can wait.
3rd they are roughly 50% of the guilds fighting power and they are leaving....not good...
4th, i guess erza isnt the guild master? Or did she do what hades did only forget to name a new guild master....
5th since guildartz was a coy jerk about it, we as fans have no clue what a 100 year qiest is right? Just a realy difficult mission. So what is difficult? Because they just destroyed the king of dragons and the immortal king of the most power ful nation, what is left to do? What could be harder then that? Is the 100 year quest "count all the grains of sand in the desert and report back" that would take a few years....
So i just wish they gave us a little hint or a teaser for what it could be.
Erza "to the west of us is alveraze, but to the east beyond the main land is the dark lands of whateveristan, these lands are said to be so dangerous even arcnologia didnt dare go there and we have a mission in the heart of them"
Natsu "wow a country so dangerous arcno didnt mess with them i am fired up, time for our first 100 year quest!!"

Or
Erza "zeff was a magical genius but who do you think invented magic?"
Gary "idk some god?"
Erza "it was the man who cursed zeff with immortality, his teacher, and the father of all magic users, the great mage gandalf! He has recently awakened from his slumber and wants to take all magic back, we need to stop him"
Natsu "cool our first 10o year quest"

Or

Erza "the princess wants to make a music video and needa back up dancers that arent as attractive as she is, we need to find an adult woman who wears less then a C cup"
Natsu "great our first 100 year quest"

Man it us sad to see ft go, unlike naruto and bleach (or op when it does end), ft never felt like i was sticking with it for the sole reason because i started it and need to see it through. Every week i actually looked forward to the realitivly fast moving plot, the awesome magic powers and the stupid speachs that were so rediclous it had to of been a parody of other manga that take them selves more seriously.

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#48 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,142 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

100 years quest just means it's a super hard one though. Given that they managed to defeat Acnologia and Zeref, there shouldn't be anything worse than them... So, even if it takes a while for them, it shouldn't be more than a couple of months at worst. 

They can also come back for a break if they need more preparation or back up... 

It's mainly to set them on another adventure, which is good. 

#49 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

100 years quest just means it's a super hard one though. Given that they managed to defeat Acnologia and Zeref, there shouldn't be anything worse than them... So, even if it takes a while for them, it shouldn't be more than a couple of months at worst.
They can also come back for a break if they need more preparation or back up...
It's mainly to set them on another adventure, which is good.

Ya i remember a breif conversation about the 1000 (?) Year quest guildartz failed.

I thought it was supposed to take that long to complete.

I guess i should say my main problem is something requiring that much time couldn't be a combat quest right? I mean, how could it take 100 years to defeat something? They would show up and be told to train for 99 years then beat a monster?

My thoughts about these quests are they are less combat related and more goal orientated, not-defeat our corrutp king, more like- establish our country a working democracy.
Of course i could be 100 percent wrong and they could be all combat related and estimate years based on how long it would take an average fodder to beat up all the enemies.

I like the fact it ends with them still going on adventures, if it ended with lucy going off to get her key we would be wondering what is after that, but with this we know another 100 year qiest is next.
The problem is we dont know what a 100 year qiest would be, would kiling arcnologia be a 100 year quest? Or a 1000 year quest?

If i were to compare it to OP, this would be tne same as if luffy were to become the PK then his crew says "whats next" and luffy says "we go to the north-west blue" and i will be sitting here wondering, what the hell is that?

Oh well, its a very small critique but if you want to end the manga on something, it shouldn't be something we know nothing about.

banner.png

#50 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,142 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Ya i remember a breif conversation about the 1000 (?) Year quest guildartz failed.

The one he failed was to kill Acnologia. He gave up because he got hurt quite badly.

So basically, it's called "100 years quest" because those are the extremely hard quests that no one ever succeeded. Maybe they've been around for super long too... 

#51 RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

La Tempête

• Administrators
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationOut on the Sea of Madness...

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

I'm actually really happy with a low-key ending like this though.  And I wonder if the mangaka deliberately didn't do a big timeskip like Naruto and Bleach did to make things different.

I know others have complained but I was happy with the final arc and how everything played out as well, but a lot of that is also in comparison to how Naruto and Bleach ended.  We've known for ages who the final boss would be - that's been hinted at practically since the beginning with Gildarts failing his 100 year quest.  Zeref was introduced almost as long ago.  They've both been in the background and built up (in the background) as majorly serious opponents for a long time.  Sure, we had to deal with the 12 Spriggen and fight them, but except for the hax resurrection bit, they were all defeated and pretty much stayed that way.  And none of the ways that any bad guy was defeated was a surprise either.  We'd seen previously that Natsu could take the magical traits/abilities/characteristics from other dragon slayers and use them to power up.  So him using that ability/whatever to get the accumulated power of the other 6 DS to defeat Acnologia was completely in line with how stuff worked in the past.  Hokey?  Sure.  But it was consistent. 

In contrast, Naruto and Bleach both gave us their final boss' (pretty much final arcs) in major asspulls.   All that build up to have freaking Tobi be the bad guy.. oops, it's not really him, it's the Zetsu thing... except that oops!  It's not him, it's some alien diety momma who needs to be taken down by the blessed chosen pair of Naruto and Sasuke.  Or the Quincy turning out to really be the bad guys after all, even though they were exterminated 200 years ago, after they weren't.  And they've been hiding in the shadows of Soul Society all along, yet no one knew it.  And oh, the big bad Quincy boss' minions didn't die, they just kept one-upping themselves with "Ha-HA!  You thought this was my final form?" crap over and over (and OVER AND OVER) again. Until suddenly, they ded.

At least Hiro gave us hints about his pairings that made sense.  No, we didn't get all the ships that fans wanted in the way we wanted them, but this is far more realistic and fitting with how they've been built up than anything Naruto or Bleach even tried to do.  I'm glad we didn't get shoehorned Miraxus or set-in-stone Gruvia or even outright NaLu.  Having Laxus be a player makes sense.  Having Gray maybe finally admitting a relationship is possible is a big step for him.  Having Natsu go one being himself while still being so attached to Lucy is the right thing.  And hell, having Gajeel and Levy getting pregnant is more acknowledgement of how things work in RL than anything most shounen ever do. 

So yeah, fanservicey until the end, this was still far more a realistic ending than most shounen would do, and definitely better than how Naruto and Bleach ended.

• azer_moli, Fenrix and YoWid like this

Waiting for the Angels of Avalon.

Coeur de Feu - a storage site for my art, writings, and ramblings.
Coeur de Feu on Etsy - Yes, a place to sell my art.

#52 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

The one he failed was to kill Acnologia. He gave up because he got hurt quite badly.

So basically, it's called "100 years quest" because those are the extremely hard quests that no one ever succeeded. Maybe they've been around for super long too...

Oh ok, i knew he encountered arcno on his quest i just didnt know arcno WAS his quest.
Wow....that makes him telling natsu about arcno a huge dick move...
Guildartz "hey natsu, you know how you are looking for a dragon, I actually left the guild long ago looking for one which i jabe found and i was unable to kill"
bad father...

Ok i guess when i have free time i will have to reread the breif few pages about 100 year quests again

I will admit the taking of the 6 DS abilities wasnt an ass pull.

BUT the fact that all 6 of those abilities were strong enough to one shot arcnologia is kinda messed up.

Also does that mean natsu can now use all those powers? Becuase dragon slayers seem to keep other dragon slayer powers given to them.

Also, i wish they gave irene an element.... as the first dragon slayer you would figure she would of been awesome...

And finally, the fact that hiro teased a fight between zeff and arco.....that isnt fair we didnt get to see that. BUT it isnt half the kick in the teeth kubo gave us by cutting the aizen vs bach fight short.

One of my all time favorite lines from any manga "welcome to MY soul socity"
Followed by a fight so horrible oda is laughing at kubo.....

banner.png

#53 Tenno

Tenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Its oddly a fitting ending

Mashima pretty much only implies things have changed but for the most part the core concept of FT is still there

Natsu ruins the moment with Lucy and everybody goes off to a new quest

• Chillman likes this

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again" -Corrax Entry 7:17

#54 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Its oddly a fitting ending

Mashima pretty much only implies things have changed but for the most part the core concept of FT is still there

Natsu ruins the moment with Lucy and everybody goes off to a new quest

Not much has changed, the characters had little to no growth over 545 chapters, and most "growth" was a character needing a friend.

You can take chapter 545 and place it at the end of most big arcs in the story and it would totally fit just fine. It just goes to show how little the story/plot mattered in the end.

I took FT as a goofy, silly romp that had no real meaning past friends > anything else, and because i did, i never was disappointed in it.

#55 Blackody

Blackody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Another Shonen series that's been ongoing for years ended.
I'm actually happy with the ending we 've got.
It's way more believable than iplying people meet and date a single person and then marry him/her and have kids.
I for one enjoyed that we didn't get the typical 100% happily ever after ending. It's at least somewhat open.

I just wish Mashima tried a little harder to come up with ways to defeat some antagonists. We always knew that our heroes would come out on top, this is FT after all, but how you get there is rreally important. In contrast, Mashima tried to find plausible ways for the protagonists in Rave to defeat the antagonists. He also had the guts to kill major and likable characters that helped ourpprotagonists develop as characters.
Anyways, as far as Ft is concerned, l stopped taking it seriously after the Grimoire Heart /Tenrou island saga (but I'll admit that I was hyped in some cases and I was immediately disappointed).
I can't say I'm sad it ended, on the contrary I believe the story did come full circle (although there some loose ends as some of you already mentioned like Edolas, Aquarius' key and the curse of Ankseram, the god who cursed Zeref).
Pretty decent ending for a series that had been deteriorating for years.
Spoiler Poor Hiruzen

#56 Dark Sasuke_101

Dark Sasuke_101

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNone of your concern

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Sooooo....when is the R34 version coming?

Hl5StX6.gif

#57 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,142 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:12 AM

Oh ok, i knew he encountered arcno on his quest i just didnt know arcno WAS his quest.
Wow....that makes him telling natsu about arcno a huge dick move...
Guildartz "hey natsu, you know how you are looking for a dragon, I actually left the guild long ago looking for one which i jabe found and i was unable to kill"
bad father...

Ok i guess when i have free time i will have to reread the breif few pages about 100 year quests again

I think he first said that dragons were not all nice, and maybe Natsu shouldn't look for Igneel, because it was a dragon who hurt him during the 100 years quest. 
And then, during Tenrou Island arc, he said Acnologia was the dragon he had encountered.

• captain kidd and Saya like this

#58 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Above is correct

http://mangaseeonlin...hapter-165.html

Quest goes from S class --> SS Class --> Decade Quest--> Century quest.

Decade quest are simply quest no one been able to complete within the last decade (does not mean it takes a decade to complete)

Likewise, Century quest are quest uncompleted within last century. 

It never stated what guildartz quest was.

Gildarts was the only one to return alive from this particular century quest (i'm assuming there others).

In Mission Area, He encounter Acnologia in mission area, lost his limb and failed, and that Acnologia is most likely around the world and doesn't remain in that area.

Maybe Acnologia was coincidence, or Acnologia was the quest target itself (kinda like how in Monster Hunter, quest details tells you investigate without knowing what exactly you are fighting).

#59 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Ok i get it now, the years is how long it has been open for.

Guildartz being the first to come back alive hints that it prbably was something combat related.

guildartz still didnt remember most of the people so he was away a long time. Kinda strange knowing all thsoe parings except lucy and natsu will have to be apart that long.

Idk I liked the ending I just really wish I knew what the quest was.
  • Saya likes this

banner.png

#60 Elixir

Elixir

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Finally this manga ends. I have gotten bored due to this whole arc.

I love how Hiro trolled the Miraxus and Jerza shippers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users