127 replies to this topic

#121 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

I would feel more sorry for Oda taking breaks if the length of his job wasn't entirely dependent on his own work rate. He can get out of the office as fast as he wants. If he wants a break he can get one by drawling a really brain dead chapter, like the second chapter to a fight or flashback.

I get drawling is a long prcess, but it cant possibly be as hard as you say or no one would be able to do it. I knew a girl that would draw entire notebook sized detailed dragons over the course of one class.

I agree there are differwnt styles and this adds to my firat point, if oda wants a break he can just put a little less detail in his art. He can draw characters slightly further away for a few pannels and make a little less detail. He already does this.

Ya i have seen a story or two of a japanese artist working himself to death. Crazy world they live in over there i would love to explor what drives a man to work himself to death. The only thing i can think of is either extreme passion for what you are doing or a deep seeded fear of failure.

I just saw you reaponded to my previous comment i will respond to that later, dont want you to think i am ignoring it.

It's not hard it just takes discipline most people don't have or realize goes into this kind of project.  people who do it easily were either blessed by god with the hands of an angel or practiced REALLY REALLY HARD before hand through trial and error to refine they're style to the point where creation is instantaneous.  a lot of people will practice with many different styles before finally settling on one they're happy with, while others willstraight up copy someone elses style to make it easier.  there are basic to learn which, once you know, make it easier of course,  which again is dependant on your particular drawing style.  but beyond that, it takes dedication to bring something like this to life, and the reason people like oda are able eto do it in the first plce is because of our social-economic differences with japan.  they're brought up to work twice as hard anad expect half as much, and to focus on spiritual growth over worldly pursuits.  mentality, patience, skill, time, ect.  its dependant on a lot of things swhether or not you have what it takes to  be a japenese mangaka by shonan jump's absurd standard.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#122 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,583 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Protip: Don't talk about shit you have zero clue about. It just makes you look like an idiot. I have worked several years in a design and comic studio and there is more work going into all of this than you think.

Second protip: Stop being such a negative shithead. If you don't like the manga, stop reading it. Each time I read here I only read how you are bitching about literally everything. Don't let your shitty life out onto others.

Bold: You need to heed your own advices :huh:

If you want troll and start a shit storm use your real account dont be a coward hidding behind a secondary annon account. You have 4 total posts yet you seem to know my posting style

silent reader is a thing.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#123 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

@captainkidd I believe your misunderstanding (as I see it) comes from the same point you always talk about on your posts: Japan is a completely different society compared to yours, and the same way you don't understand how japanese fans like this or that, I believe that's what makes you not to completelt understand how that work is.

I have a family member living in Japan since 4 years ago or so, and as a European who can see the country with an outside look at it, but at the same time has stayed enough time there to understand the culture properly (he's been studying japanese language and culture since he was a kid) he could tell you how work culture in japan is. We already have some idea about how they work and all that, but believe me, what we know is just the tip of the iceberg. When you live it first-hand (or second hand in my case) you see the real thing, and it's worse than it looks. This family member had a friend who even attempted to commit suicide just by the sheer depression and pressure the company they worked in put on them (he is still staying there because it's his all time dream and wants to give it a chance, but is probably going to give up and move back to another county). That shit is near nazi/slavery level, but worse becouse it's brainwashed into everyone so they believe it's the right thing to do...

So just by seeing that I would say that I have no freaking idea to judge how Oda's works habits are, and what's the pressure he constantly lives under, but taking that into account and the small ideas we've been given about his schedules I believe you are underestimating it.
  • retroluffy13, captain kidd and Chillman like this

"You can't take the King Marco_by_Kanomaru.gifon your first turn!!"

FoundeothTrafalgaLafan-clu-----> :aww: 

#124 durra072

durra072

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

I don't always agree with @captain kidd, but in this case he's right. Oda's just lazy, he's not that great as you make him seem to be.
  • D.Hyuga likes this

People to never take seriously:

Spoiler

#125 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

I don't always agree with @captain kidd, but in this case he's right. Oda's just lazy, he's not that great as you make him seem to be.

all ive done is point out obvious facts in such a way that he seems great.  what you choose to take away from that is your own business.  really though its no different then anyone else who writes for shonen jump, so no not special or great per say.  but harder working then generally most people.

Edited by retroluffy13, 15 August 2017 - 07:48 AM.

• durra072 likes this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#126 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

all ive done is point out obvious facts in such a way that he seems great.  what you choose to take away from that is your own business.  really though its no different then anyone else who writes for shonen jump, so no not special or great per say.  but harder working then generally most people.

As I wrote, you have good example of Arakawa who is 2 years older that Oda, have 3 kids, didn't took maternity leave for at least one kid. Capable of making more than one project in the same time. And then, you have Oda... he is just a fat cat, nothing more and nothing else. Oh yes, I forgot, he has a very large number of zombie fans, always ready to justified his lazy fat ass.

And HIro is just 2 years younger, but he is way more productive. How so?

#127 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

As I wrote, you have good example of Arakawa who is 2 years older that Oda, have 3 kids, didn't took maternity leave for at least one kid. Capable of making more than one project in the same time. And then, you have Oda... he is just a fat cat, nothing more and nothing else. Oh yes, I forgot, he has a very large number of zombie fans, always ready to justified his lazy fat ass.

And HIro is just 2 years younger, but he is way more productive. How so?

full metal alchemist was monthly. idk what else she had going on at the time, but monthly is a different beast.

also forgivness, but hiro is a common japenese name.  your taking about fma lady right?  she was female.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#128 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

full metal alchemist was monthly. idk what else she had going on at the time, but monthly is a different beast.

Yeah I didn't even get the point of bringing up Arakawa because a monthly series that ran for nine years doesn't really compare well with a weekly series that's still ongoing after 20 years with possibly five to seven years ahead of it. FMA was barely 100 chapters whereas One Piece is heading closer to 900 and may finish with over 1200.

Silver Spoon is a weekly manga by the same author but it's also frequently on hiatus. In fact it's currently on an indefinite one after resuming for three chapters following a ten month hiatus which itself was preceded by an eight month hiatus.

http://www.crunchyro...-three-chapters

I should point out that this has nothing to due with her work ethic as she has her own circumstances that causes the manga to be on hiatus which is usually the case with any author that takes a break despite the nonsense that some fans shout on the internet. Still I'm not sure how the this is supposed to make Oda look bad when the most he takes by comparison is an occasional one week break, just this year alone she has more breaks that Oda's entire career combined.

also forgivness, but hiro is a common japenese name. your taking about fma lady right? she was female.

The Hiro he's talking about is Hiro Mashima the author of Fairy Tail. The the thing is that both authors have revealed their work schedules and there isn't much difference between them. Both essentially work seven days a week taking an average of five to six days to complete a chapter and spending the other days working on ancillary stuff like tankobon fixes, cover pages, data books, research, or getting a head start on the following chapter.

Not to mention that One Piece is longer than Rave Master and Fairy Tail combined and there's an inherent difference in working on one title for a long time as opposed to multiple titles over a long time span. With the latter you can take as much time off as you want before you start your next work. For instance Shimabukuro, who debuted one week apart from Oda, had six years between the end of Takeshi and the start of Toriko. I think Mashima had a year between when Rave Master ended and Fairy Tail began and now that the latter is over he can take several years off until he starts his next major title if he wants. Oda doesn't have the liberty to put One Piece on hold for months / years at a time so I think it's fine if he takes an occasional one week break after being in serialization for so long with several more years ahead (especially since it's WSJ that insist on the breaks and he mostly works during those anyway). People are acting as if he has Togashi's 10 chapters a year schedule. :shrug:

• retroluffy13, Strobacaxi and Chillman like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users