• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#101 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

Oda sure is on a roll of delivering garbage chapters.

2/10

I think I understand your marking mindset. It's 1 point for the effort of drawing the chapter and 1 point for being...garbage? At least it's something and not non-existent.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#102 Scorpion2k4u

Scorpion2k4u

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts
  • Locationsurrounding you

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

That is another thing.

For someone with a wheele to punish people for leaving her crew, she sure gets betrayed alot
Lola
Chiffon
CC
Capone
Jimbe
Pekoms

What the hell..... has any other organization has this much trouble? The warlords maybe.

what's with Pekoms anyways?

2mg5kyb.jpg

#103 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Luffy jus had this whole thing about how he doesn't wanna have to run anymore because of the two years of training. If his ass don't turn around and fight that women I swea to god
  • Shin likes this

#104 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

what's with Pekoms anyways?

ya seriously..... he betrayed bm.... his friend justified capone killing him, he helped luffy break into WCI...... now he wants to get untied so he can tell be about capone's plan? is he bellamy 2.0?

Luffy jus had this whole thing about how he doesn't wanna have to run anymore because of the two years of training. If his ass don't turn around and fight that women I swea to god

ya luffy telling fuji he wont run anymore if he wants to be PK, that was reason 1,2 and 3 for why i believed BM was going down this arc.

at least oda waited a few arc before zoro lost after promising not to........ breaking luffy's promise this quick is just insulting

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#105 Shichibukai Ace

Shichibukai Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationOutlaw's Summit.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

Telling ya. Oda is eating entire bags of mushrooms before writing these chapters, please understand. 

Spoiler

#106 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

ya seriously..... he betrayed bm.... his friend justified capone killing him, he helped luffy break into WCI...... now he wants to get untied so he can tell be about capone's plan? is he bellamy 2.0?

ya luffy telling fuji he wont run anymore if he wants to be PK, that was reason 1,2 and 3 for why i believed BM was going down this arc.

at least oda waited a few arc before zoro lost after promising not to........ breaking luffy's promise this quick is just insulting

its not late for him tho. I don't think he'll beat her but I'm guessing within the next 2 chapters while sanji is making that cake luffy will get tired of running
  • captain kidd likes this

#107 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:56 AM

He's obviously going to fight Kataruki.

#108 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

Has Oda been eating a bag of mushrooms before writing these chapters?

More of that stuff actually... 

c0oXQEl.jpg

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 27 August 2017 - 08:36 AM.

• Shichibukai Ace, dbgetblack and Grimmjagger like this

#109 Shichibukai Ace

Shichibukai Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

I feel like he's trying too hard to break the mold and as a result we got... this. 

I mean, I can't blame him (or anyone) for doing things new. You actually have to, especially in the creative realm. But I feel he (Oda) is trying just a tad too hard to keep One Piece fans guessing. 

Luffy struggling against Big Mam makes perfect sense, he should struggle. But it's the way he has been struggling that is the problem. 

Personally, one thing I have noticed out of Luffy is his head strong demeanor is his greatest strength but it is also becoming a big weakness. Rushing in constantly is not going to work like it used to on the Grand Line. 

Instead of Luffy learning/analyzing such thoughts, he continues rushing in, getting whooped, and getting bailed out. And maybe Oda is trying to send some kind of message with that plot device, or maybe he wants to knock Luffy down a peg. IDK. 

But Luffy has experience infiltrating multiple government institutions undetected as well as getting in and out of wars. He mostly did this through his guts and instincts.

I personally thought Oda would build off of that. Use Luffy's Impel Down experience to sneak into Big Mam territory (he kind of did get in pretty smooth) and use that same experience to gather intel and position himself (none of that happened.)

Being on Marinford he should have noticed/analyzed what it meant for Yonkou Whitebeard to be the Star of the battlefield. When you know who is clear #1 on the island or territory, experience should tell you "do not rush in" Instead we see him go for the most embarrassing Elephant Gun I have ever seen. Attacking Big Mam head on without getting any intel on what she can/will do to you when you get close..... Come on Luffy we have you confirmed with a title of "Battle Genius." Gotta show it man. 

Ultimately what I typed right there are my own views, opinions, etc. I am not writing the story, I am not Luffy's creator. Whatever Oda wants to do with Luffy is up to him.

I just feel he could be doing a better job of maximizing the potential of his own... well, style. The Whole Cake Island arc just doesn't feel like it is in Oda's style and I wish we could go back to that. 

On the plus side, the animation (drawing, landscape) has been absolutely top notch. So there's ups and downs, hopefully we get a great finishing touch to the closing chapters in a style that we know Oda can produce (where the characters develop, learn, interact with established plot continuity, etc.)

*Edit

And for what it's worth I know I'm nitpicking things but I am still enjoying the arc and of course the story as a whole. There have been good moments (the Tea Party and the guests were pretty cool) and I'm sure the closing chapters will be good ones. 

Edited by Shichibukai Ace, 27 August 2017 - 06:46 PM.

• dbgetblack and Chillman like this

Spoiler

#110 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

I feel like he's trying too hard to break the mold and as a result we got... this.

I mean, I can't blame him (or anyone) for doing things new. You actually have to, especially in the creative realm. But I feel he (Oda) is trying just a tad too hard to keep One Piece fans guessing.

Luffy struggling against Big Mam makes perfect sense, he should struggle. But it's the way he has been struggling that is the problem.

Personally, one thing I have noticed out of Luffy is his head strong demeanor is his greatest strength but it is also becoming a big weakness. Rushing in constantly is not going to work like it used to on the Grand Line.

Instead of Luffy learning/analyzing such thoughts, he continues rushing in, getting whooped, and getting bailed out. And maybe Oda is trying to send some kind of message with that plot device, or maybe he wants to knock Luffy down a peg. IDK.

But Luffy has experience infiltrating multiple government institutions undetected as well as getting in and out of wars. He mostly did this through his guts and instincts.

I personally thought Oda would build off of that. Use Luffy's Impel Down experience to sneak into Big Mam territory (he kind of did get in pretty smooth) and use that same experience to gather intel and position himself (none of that happened.)

Being on Marinford he should have noticed/analyzed what it meant for Yonkou Whitebeard to be the Star of the battlefield. When you know who is clear #1 on the island or territory, experience should tell you "do not rush in" Instead we see him go for the most embarrassing Elephant Gun I have ever seen. Attacking Big Mam head on without getting any intel on what she can/will do to you when you get close..... Come on Luffy we have you confirmed with a title of "Battle Genius." Gotta show it man.

Ultimately what I typed right there are my own views, opinions, etc. I am not writing the story, I am not Luffy's creator. Whatever Oda wants to do with Luffy is up to him.

I just feel he could be doing a better job of maximizing the potential of his own... well, style. The Whole Cake Island arc just doesn't feel like it is in Oda's style and I wish we could go back to that.

On the plus side, the animation (drawing, landscape) has been absolutely top notch. So there's ups and downs, hopefully we get a great finishing touch to the closing chapters in a style that we know Oda can produce (where the characters develop, learn, interact with established plot continuity, etc.)

*Edit

And for what it's worth I know I'm nitpicking things but I am still enjoying the arc and of course the story as a whole. There have been good moments (the Tea Party and the guests were pretty cool) and I'm sure the closing chapters will be good ones.

I hope that isnt what he is trying to do, "break the mould" there is nothinf wrong with the repetive nature if the u der lying plot as long as he changes the specifics. Different villain (different df....bm...) different end goal different motivations

The one trop oda always uses that actually does bother me is the "always finding a friend on every island" thing.

I get they give luffy motivation and provide insight but some times they are just unrealistic....
Like in ID, buggy, the first (and aside from dead end adventures, i think the only) villain to purposefully attack and seriously damage luffy's hat. He used his crew as shields and blew up a small towb for fun..... but hey he is friends with luffy now because why not.
And law....
Rebecca whos goal was opposite luffy's and she tried to kill him, but she is a joke and a weak character so why hate her for it.... if akainu was a woman luffy would forgive him too...
Iva.... "well i have been waiting for years building up my army, but you say you are dragon's son without offering proof? i have a good feeling you are because only the son of dragon would have this wuold power, and you say ace is dragon's son with no proof at all, so ya i will just save your life and stage the world's largest prison break why not. Hey maybe i can even scarfice my life on the way out!!"

So ya i do hate some of oda's predictable stuff but for the most part the predictable story structure is not a problem, i mean most people dont pick up a book assuming the main character will die. We all know luffy will be the PK... (it woud be so awesome if BB gets there first though)

I dont know about the running in head first part though.
I think running in head first without thinking or planning is less part of luffy's ever evolving fighting ability and more a part of who he is as a character, which wont change.
  • Shichibukai Ace likes this

banner.png

#111 Shichibukai Ace

Shichibukai Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Thank you for the response, Cap. Good to see you still as active as ever around here. 

I had a more detailed write up for your post but it got a little convoluted and I just decided to try to condense my thoughts:

I feel Oda is overloaded with background characters, sub plots, and just a teeny bit reliant on flashbacks to stretch out/milk panels. There's just a little bit too much going on with micromanaging all this stuff and I think if we could get back to the core formula that involves focusing on the development of the main characters, we could have higher quality chapters. I think this comes from attempts to keep the audience guessing.

With more characters means more time needed to develop them, draw them, come up with their quirks/personalities, etc. 

But then if Oda restricts himself to just developing the SH's, we lose one of the things that makes One Piece great: the expansive landscape/worlds. 

It's a weird balance we're seeing. Because I don't feel the story right now is bad or anything..... quite the contrary. Some chapters I feel start stellar, then end terribly. Or vice versa. Then there's the stuff like you mentioned where an ally is always there. Whereas in the past that was good stuff, it doesn't really work so well here in the New World. It's kind of unrealistic to expect Luffy to have secret ties with the most random of characters.

I really do feel Oda is doing too much to keep us guessing. Like, there's so many expectations and none of them are being met. I feel that is intentional. You cannot expect to treat a main character this way without having a reason behind it, and I feel that reason is Oda doesn't want us to think we know where he is going with this. So he is throwing us weird curve balls. 

Thing I am most concerned with is the handling of Big Mam. I feel she is going to be unjustly treated/written off. 

*Edit

Wanted to be a little more clear with my overall point: I feel there is not enough focus on the main plot/core of the story. 

Like, we are interacting with a Yonkou in real time, and there is no Zoro. I know he's busy, but he should be here. Instead we get Pedro, who has the bounty of Zoro.... but he is not Zoro. We need him and he should be here. 

I understand Zoro/Law are leading a massive Elephant on an unknown mission. That's hype. But he should be here, seriously. Losing Luffy's right hand in his most important campaign since Marinford isn't working out at this current point. And it's a huge disservice to Zoro fans. 

Edited by Shichibukai Ace, 28 August 2017 - 09:27 PM.

Spoiler

#112 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for the response, Cap. Good to see you still as active as ever around here.

I had a more detailed write up for your post but it got a little convoluted and I just decided to try to condense my thoughts:

I feel Oda is overloaded with background characters, sub plots, and just a teeny bit reliant on flashbacks to stretch out/milk panels. There's just a little bit too much going on with micromanaging all this stuff and I think if we could get back to the core formula that involves focusing on the development of the main characters, we could have higher quality chapters. I think this comes from attempts to keep the audience guessing.

With more characters means more time needed to develop them, draw them, come up with their quirks/personalities, etc.

But then if Oda restricts himself to just developing the SH's, we lose one of the things that makes One Piece great: the expansive landscape/worlds.

It's a weird balance we're seeing. Because I don't feel the story right now is bad or anything..... quite the contrary. Some chapters I feel start stellar, then end terribly. Or vice versa. Then there's the stuff like you mentioned where an ally is always there. Whereas in the past that was good stuff, it doesn't really work so well here in the New World. It's kind of unrealistic to expect Luffy to have secret ties with the most random of characters.

I really do feel Oda is doing too much to keep us guessing. Like, there's so many expectations and none of them are being met. I feel that is intentional. You cannot expect to treat a main character this way without having a reason behind it, and I feel that reason is Oda doesn't want us to think we know where he is going with this. So he is throwing us weird curve balls.

Thing I am most concerned with is the handling of Big Mam. I feel she is going to be unjustly treated/written off.

*Edit

Wanted to be a little more clear with my overall point: I feel there is not enough focus on the main plot/core of the story.

Like, we are interacting with a Yonkou in real time, and there is no Zoro. I know he's busy, but he should be here. Instead we get Pedro, who has the bounty of Zoro.... but he is not Zoro. We need him and he should be here.

I understand Zoro/Law are leading a massive Elephant on an unknown mission. That's hype. But he should be here, seriously. Losing Luffy's right hand in his most important campaign since Marinford isn't working out at this current point. And it's a huge disservice to Zoro fans.

Background characters and sub plots, i am not going to lie i am bias when it comes to these. I hate 99% of background characters and most sub plots are a distraction. But there have been a few that seriosuly revived my interest in the story. Bartolomeo made me seriously excited for every chapter of Dr (until the 745 mark) and as far as sub plota go i liked fuji showing up it was a great way to show the marines arent incompetent. (I wish oda wrote him out better though)

So seeing how much i enjoyed a few background characters i can understand where oda is comming from, and after near 900 chapters you have to admit the same main characters get kinda boring (espically since they werent too unoque to being with) but when the background characters are ones i hate like carrot and pedro are now i cant help but get angry at them for taking focuse and slowing the story....pedro we dont care you lost an eye and carrot no one cares you sunk away........

Fashbacks you know already i am going to 100% agree with you on that one screw every flashback to ever exist. You know when film students are in school they are told not to use flashbacks ever. There is a reason for that. Seriously if oda isnt a good enough author to make us emotionally invested in characters without tellint us a sob story i dont know how he sold as much manga as he did. If you think about it, flashbacks are the laziest thing an author can do. Instead of slowing building to a reveal of a characters insecurities and helping a character get over them, oda just shows us a troubled past filled with horror and calls it a day.

And forget laziness, look at who is getting flashbacks now. I was ok with oda giving the main characters flashbacks, w/e. But now he gives them to BM? And DD? And even hodi? Who cares about those guys.... flashbacks are designed to get us emotionally invested in a character, why des oda want me to feel for Bm?

Rant over.

Ya i woudnt say the story is bad either, zou was bad, ph was so so, wci started out amazing. It had a semi belivable way for luffy to sneak into BM's land, crackers played the role of bluno proving luffy could stand up to bm possibly. A lot of interesting characters, capone G66 BM's whole crew. But then the arc fell to the dogs when sanji started stealing more focuse then law in dr. The first Emperor arc turned into a story about sanji being the nicest person ever......why? Now it feels like oda wants to make wci 100 chapters and is stalling for time.

Ya the keeping us guessing thing is weird. It seems like oda had all the pieces for a logical story, but instead he took those pieces and threw them in a blender and served up what was left. We all knew the picture, the hunger sickness and the bomb were going to be really important.

So to put those pieces into a logical story- luffy fails to breal the picture because an emperor level crew should be able to defend a single picture.....it isnt an island it is something bm can put in her pocket for gods sake.... the bomb goes off causing a distraction and bm hunger sickness prevents her crew from chasing down luffy.

But oda knew that is what we thought would happen so now we have this......an emperor level crew with the ability to see the future was unable to protect a small photo, the WMDs made by the genius CC were destoryed by a yell, and only had an inhalers worth of gas in them.... a small bomb brought down an entire tower... and bm is going after the SH crew whos only defense is yelling "dodge" and they will live somehow...

I am the opposite of you when it comes to BM. I want her gone. Her only appeal ever was her title. All the other emperor have aspects of them that make them interesting, BM doesnt, she is a bad person with alot of land and a high ranking title, nearly all OP villains fit that mould. Once the SH start fighting emperor more often, and when they take down kiadou, there will be no appeal to her title.
I think the only good bm can do now, if oda refuses to let her be luffy's warm up win(this arc). Is bm can go down to a SN or Admrial to hype that character up.

I think bm is already broken beyond repair, she is no longer fixable. And unlike with fuji oda didnt write himself into a corner with her, he had all the room in the world to make bm something special, instead he made her.......well...

Ya i think the lack of zoro is either because oda needed a reason for nami to tell luffy not to fight bm. Or to appease sanji fans, neither of those reasons are good enough to justify half the crew missing.

Bm not going down this arc is just stupid.

Zoro "hey luffy why are you so beat up"

Luffy "well, me and a famous pirate captain and an army of people bm thought was on her side completly, utterly, and humilliatingly failed to take down the weakest emperor"

Zoro "well that sucks, hey on the bright side, the famous pirate captain marco and the army of people kidaou thinks is in his side, the samuri, just arrived, ready to take down the strongest emperor?!"

Luffy "of course!!!!! I am going to kick his ass"
  • Shichibukai Ace likes this

banner.png

#113 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

Reread the chapter to refresh my memory of what exactly happened, and I am getting tried of all the running. At least Sanji is with Pudding now on their way to start making the cake, so that part of the story can start to move forward again. Her split personality interacting with Sanji was entertaining at least. There just isn't a whole lot to saw on the chapter. Although I am still confused why Katakuri didn't just destroy Luffy's ship or take out Brook and Chopper himself. Seems like that would have been the best action to take, but I guess they didn't want them to be taken out so easily. 

#114 Timppafin93

Timppafin93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

Why Katakuri didn't just destroy Luffy's ship or take out Brook and Chopper himself. Seems like that would have been the best action to take, but I guess they didn't want them to be taken out so easily. 

I'm new here so hi everybody.

First: BM crew has their ways to get informations (Like they knew about Zeff, restaurant Baratie and Kamabakka Kingdom) and i guess they know Thousand Sunny has unique weapons that Big Mom wants to herself like she wants Germa 66's technology and weapons (Thousand Sunny has Coup de Burst ,Chicken Yovage and Gaon Cannon) and probably that's the reason why Katakuri has not yet destroyed the ship.

Second: Big Mom has collection of unique things and creatures and Chopper and Brook are unique creatures... But after seeing newest chapter, Perospero was going kill them, but i guess BM would have added them in collection too, both them would been stuck in candy forever (If you have seen Jurassic Park movie, you know what i mean)

Edited by Timppafin93, 31 August 2017 - 05:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users