#141 Locormus

Locormus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationBehind bars..

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Kinda a cop out.

True, but would you accept to see BM have underlings around Don Krieg's level of power - or around Perospero/Jack/Katakuri? It just wouldn't fit the story or fulfill the story-needs. The story demands obstacles for our heroes to clear - or it will fall flat - and these need to steadily increase in problem level, be it strength or tactical difficulty.

Exception to this rule would be characters with unique powers useful outside of combat, like Sugar.

That being said, I think it's a real problem that Brook, Nami and Chopper are held off Big Mom the way that they did - with regards to the comparison their future opponents will need to face. Brook had a tussle with BM twice and survived to tell the tale (first one was debatable, during the second he performed admirable feats like blitzing her and cutting Zeus in half). His next opponent now needs to be more of a threat then Big Mom in order to take him/her seriously or he/she will pale in comparison and the match-up will end up boring (because he already fared alright in the face of a yonkou so to speak).

#142 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Look at oda's work. EVERY princess is 16. Vivi-16 mermaid princess-16 rebecca-16. (Vivi is 18 post ts)
At first you think- ok that is innocent enough, "princess" kinda implies young, so oda made them young, but old enough that luffy isnt a baby sitter and they can kinda fight.
But then look at what oda does with the princess.
Vivi- was in the same "dancer" outfit nami was in (also sanji was his normal sanji self to vivi) oh and lets not forget she was involved in the bath scene
Mermaid princess- luffy jumped around on her chest.... not to mention her cloths
Rebecca- her armor....nuff said...

Well keep in mind it's a shounen. It's meant for teenagers. Look at all of those CW shows.

• Grimmjagger likes this

#143 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

Well keep in mind it's a shounen. It's meant for teenagers. Look at all of those CW shows.

That makes sense when i think about it. To us long time readers 2 years doesnt make that much a difference so it is easy for me to say "just make her 18 damn it", but to the kids, the 13-16 year olds that read this that 2 years makes a huge difference. It takes the princess from being the sophomore girl in school they have a crush on, to being an actual adult with a job and car.

I see your point, makes sense.

True, but would you accept to see BM have underlings around Don Krieg's level of power - or around Perospero/Jack/Katakuri? It just wouldn't fit the story or fulfill the story-needs. The story demands obstacles for our heroes to clear - or it will fall flat - and these need to steadily increase in problem level, be it strength or tactical difficulty.

Exception to this rule would be characters with unique powers useful outside of combat, like Sugar.

That being said, I think it's a real problem that Brook, Nami and Chopper are held off Big Mom the way that they did - with regards to the comparison their future opponents will need to face. Brook had a tussle with BM twice and survived to tell the tale (first one was debatable, during the second he performed admirable feats like blitzing her and cutting Zeus in half). His next opponent now needs to be more of a threat then Big Mom in order to take him/her seriously or he/she will pale in comparison and the match-up will end up boring (because he already fared alright in the face of a yonkou so to speak).

No that would be weird, which is why we gave bobbin so much crap.

And normally we would just accept the strong crew members because the weak crew members get killed off. But in BM's family, except snacks, there isnt any evidence of weak crew members getting killed off. Sons 1-4 are present. So are most daughters.

Ya i agree bm getting held back the way she did was stupid. Oda kinda had himself in a corner but he should of thought of a way out of it aside from jimbe and brook fighting bm.
What oda should of done is had jimbe yell "everyone hold your breath" then pull the whole ship under water.
Unless oda honestly wanted to show how the nami brook jimbe and chopper team is emperor level.

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#144 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Unless oda honestly wanted to show how the nami brook jimbe and chopper team is emperor level.

You're not emperor level for holding off an emperor for a few seconds

tumblr_mg4t7olJvZ1s2x1ggo1_500.png

#145 Engal

Engal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

That's not how I took it. They barely managed to hold her off through trick and ruse, but they didn't managed to stop her. 

Having an opponent that you can't stop and can't handle and face while standing still is not something that can show your point. 

Facing an opponent to try and defeat him is one thing

Fleeing an opponent while trying to survive through different trick is something else entirely. 

#146 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

You're not emperor level for holding off an emperor for a few seconds

So being abke to fight someone doesnt put them on the level? What pray tell does put you on that level?

Seriously.

As far as i can see the requirement to get to a specific level is the ability to fight with others on that level. You dont have to win, but you have to not lose horribly.
Mr.1 is not mihawk level because he lost badly, luffy is not admiral level because he didnt do anything offensive.

But nami and co nearly shoved bm almost in the water, portected the ship bm fully intended to protect, and took zeus out of the fight, zeus, who was described as "a clone of me, it would be like hurting me" -BM
Sounds like equal fighting to me.....

banner.png

#147 Engal

Engal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

No it's not. Big mum is weakened, she's set on a simple goal, does not think straight and is completely maddened. 

Sh are fleeing, trying to save their asses and take opportunity of her weakness to trick and use the environnement against her. 

that's not " equal fighting " 

#148 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

No it's not. Big mum is weakened, she's set on a simple goal, does not think straight and is completely maddened.

Sh are fleeing, trying to save their asses and take opportunity of her weakness to trick and use the environnement against her.

that's not " equal fighting "

If what you said was even half true how come peros was impressed by jimbe blocking BM'S attack?

Peros "wow jimbe was able to block a 10% BM's attack that is amazing....."

The reactions of everyone in the manga contradict the fan theory of bm being incredibly weakened.

banner.png

#149 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

@captain kidd

Her crew doesn't have to know she's weakened.

#150 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

@captain kidd

Her crew doesn't have to know she's weakened.

So you are telling me her crew doesnt know but us all knowing fans do?

Her crew who has lived with her for their whole life. Doesnt know as much as us fans can tell by looking at her?

banner.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users