Photo

Darling in the FranXX (Winter 2018 Clubhouse Anime)

Anime

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Ep. 15, I liked it sooooo much. 

Everything was made just right. 

Not too much drama, it all fitted well. 

And that hand at the end <3 Mystery, mystery. We can still imagine so many possibilities. 

Also, Alpha and his gang... they have horns and the dudes are the ones fusing with the FranXX. That's unusual. I wonder how they've been transformed. Maybe I missed something and it was said somewhere? 

@DaEvilWithin that's too bad. But I suppose it's the kind of series you enjoy a lot or you just get bored. 

• Tokoya likes this

#22 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

This latest episode was so sad  :cry:

Mitsuru and Kokoro's wedding was super cute, I really liked how they were growing up into adults. I hope they can retrieve their memory before Kokoro realises she's pregnant (there's that picture of her all alone and hands on the belly in the ED, so that looks bad for a happy reunion  :<_<: )

The Nines really have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Iota is the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet for Zero Two. So she's the last of the Nines, technically, but also probably the second pilot made. Given that they all work in pairs, it's surprising they were the Nines in the first place. She was left-out anyway. No wonder she doesn't feel like she belongs with them. 

And then, my two favourite parts:

- The past of the adult guy with the weird nose (honestly, I can't remember his name) and how the woman always had more emotions. 

- The plan of the APE, with the fact they want to discard their own bodies. So they're aiming for a sort of immortality into immaterial bodies? It seemed that age didn't matter much in the first place, but maybe they're all growing too old. Now, I'm not sure they all wanted it, some reactions were a bit off. In any case, that means that the Klaxosaurs obviously have what they need to achieve what they want, and it's not just a way to rule over everything without them as a threat. 

#23 Dark Sasuke_101

Dark Sasuke_101

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNone of your concern

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

Honestly happy that Nine alpha ruined the wedding.

Hl5StX6.gif

#24 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

So... Aliens. 

What do you think? I'm a bit disappointed, I must admit. I liked the fact that the humans were the bad guys for once. Now, they'll ally with the Klaxosaurus, and it's just not as fun. 

#25 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

I said a few months ago that I hoped that this show didn't become another Kiznaiver but it looks like my worst fears were realized. That too was an anime that had seemingly interesting themes that weren't competently fleshed out and a plot that got hijacked by love triangles and other romance drama to felt more forced and trite than compelling.

It also doesn't help that Darling invites comparisons to actual well written shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Shinsekai Yori.

I think I should've jumped ship when @DaEvilWithin did as this has been my only disappointment this season. 

• DaEvilWithin and Candles like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#26 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

I actually liked this episode, which is nice since it's probably the first time I can say that since "The Beast and the Prince" at the beginning of the season. But yeah for a series that I mostly enjoyed during the first cour, this second cour has been somewhat of a let down in my opinion.
Also I noticed this episode had the same title as episode six, though I don't see any obvious parallels between the two episodes.

I said a few months ago that I hoped that this show didn't become another Kiznaiver but it looks like my worst fears were realized. That too was an anime that had seemingly interesting themes that weren't competently fleshed out and a plot that got hijacked by love triangles and other romance drama to felt more forced and trite than compelling.

It also doesn't help that Darling invites comparisons to actual well written shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Shinsekai Yori.

Unlike in Kiznaier I don't think the romantic drama itself here is the issue since I have a hard time envisioning a version of this show without it given how crucial it is to the narrative. Rather the problem is that if that is how you intend to craft your show then the character writing has to be really good and instead it's arguably this shows weakest trait. Scum's Wish doesn't have an intriguing plot at all and is 98% relationship drama but that character writing in that show is exceptional which results in a really good anime nonetheless.
Darling on the other hand has character writing on par with a show like Citrus so the relationship drama that was supposed to elevate the show in the creators mind instead helped bury it.

The parallels with Evangelion are obviously intentional and I agree that wasn't a wise idea but I doubt that was the case with Shinsekai Yori as I only see very vague similarities there.

So... Aliens.
What do you think? I'm a bit disappointed, I must admit.

Personally I think the show held it's world-building too close to it's chest for sake of creating mysteries only for that to backfire with many fans when the answers to those mysteries turned out to be neither surprising or interesting enough to warrant being strung along for that amount of time. It's similar to what happened for me with Danganronpa. You and Tokoya seem to have been enjoying this show far more than I have so I'm sure you feel differently.

• azer_moli and Kid Frost like this

#27 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

It's similar to what happened for me with Danganronpa.

:lol: Darling wishes it was even close to Danganronpa, the mysteries in that series are legitmately well crafted and extremely satisfying to unravel.

Honestly happy that Nine alpha ruined the wedding.

I didn't mind the wedding itself but the narrative decision for Kokoro and Mitsuru to have a baby when they're just kids, can still barely take care of themselves, live in a post apocalyptic world, and all their childbirth and parenting knowledge comes from a single book which buts them below that of an average middle schooler in our world is just bizarre to me. Now given their upbringing they probably can't realize just how ill equipped they are to take care of baby but the narrative seems to want the audience to see this a good thing despite the reality that they are in fact extremely ill equipped to have a child right now. :psyduck:

• Dark Sasuke_101 likes this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#28 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

:lol: Darling wishes it was even close to Danganronpa, the mysteries in that series are legitmately well crafted and extremely satisfying to unravel.

I wasn't talking about the franchise as whole, I was only refering to the first game. I think everything revealed in chapter six of DR1 was either already easily discernible much earlier in the game or was otherwise nonsensical which is similar to how I feel about episodes 19 and 20 in this show so they are the same in that regard. I agree the mysteries and reveals in DR2 and V3 were mostly amazing especially once you see all the foreshadowing on a replay.
  • Kid Frost likes this

#29 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

Personally I think the show held it's world-building too close to it's chest for sake of creating mysteries only for that to backfire with many fans when the answers to those mysteries turned out to be neither surprising or interesting enough to warrant being strung along for that amount of time. It's similar to what happened for me with Danganronpa. You and Tokoya seem to have been enjoying this show far more than I have so I'm sure you feel differently.

Yes, it was incredibly disappointing. 

I still haven't digested that. I could bear with any drama as long as it was sustained by some mysteries. Now the dynamic is different. Too much drama altogether. I wouldn't say it's badly done, some scenes were done well, and it was moving to a point. For example, there were scenes in that latest episode that I really enjoyed. 

As my boyfriend said, it's TTGL gone wrong with the aliens. Those characters are teenagers, for the audience, doing stuff for adults, like being about to have a kid. It's a post-apocalyptic world, it will be the first normal born kid in years, but it's so wrong. 

Older characters would have been better. 

It would have allowed them to be a bit badass, which they really are not. 

The most horrid part for me was Alpha's death. It felt useless, as if they simply needed to get rid of the character. Forced drama, really. 

In any case, I really wanted the humans to be the bad guys, to have ruined earth by themselves. It would have made the show so much better. But no, humans are not evil, humans don't ruin the earth, it has to be someone else who did it >_> *sigh*

• Candles likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users