Photo

[Voting]Poetry Contest #1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Poetry contest #1 (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Poetry contest #1

1. Grimmjagger (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Red Opus (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. GintaMan (1 votes [20.00%])

4. YoWid (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

Welcome to the voting for Poetry Contest #1!

The theme was "Darkness", as picked by default.

The poll should-be self-explanatory. Please vote objectively, and fair.
You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Please also post your opinions/criticism in the thread.
Previous rounds and winners can be found pinned in the Contest Forum and the Discussion Thread.

Here are the entries for this round:

Spoiler The Pit

Liquid bronze

Spoiler

Spoiler The Well

Sorry, @Grimmjagger , scrap that, final version here:

Spoiler

Edited by Grimmjagger, 01 March 2018 - 11:52 AM.

adc7d2dcb1dabf541a54a5baeff97cee.jpeg

BIG THINGS ARE COMING TO OMF!

#2 YoWid

YoWid

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Aw, shucks, I'll sit this one out, then, kthx.

Here be the definitive guide for would-be voters.

Spoiler

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#3 YoWid

YoWid

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

Your replies confirmed my suspicion: you’re all not giving your 100% in this one poetry contest.

@Grimmjagger

You’re too worried of botching this very first OMF contest you’re hosting, after taking up the mantle from @Oben and you played it safe, with standard rhymes, as opposed to free verses in your writings on the other subforum. You want to make sure to play it slick as the promising upstart (which is a fact), but turned out trading freedom of thoughts to security for your newfound reputation.

@Red Opus

Your heart is in the right place, but your disillusionment is shown, if subtle, in your poem. You’re seeing the shadow of your former self (those brilliant GFXs and poems as well as the awards associated to them shall serve as your testament). You’re refusing to give in to the pressure of living up to your past glory, but subconsciously hampering yourself in the process, almost as if half-assing it.

@GintaMan

You’re eagerly and sincerely willing to help others flourish in this forum from the start, in DOTA/LoL you’d be the exemplar roaming support, without a doubt. The down side to that, however, you’re holding yourself back from drawing out your full potentials, either due to reluctance to overshine others, or complacency (subconscious or otherwise) about your works in general.

“Why the fuck you care so much about my work, bitch? Why this unwarranted cringefest of criticisms?”

I saw myself in the early, middle, and late stage of being an OMF member from the three of you, respectively. That’s why.

Have some care in your craft, have some pride in your poetry. Fuck what everybody say.

Shitslingers gonna shitsling. Keep on writing.

#4 casscat

casscat

♥ Capt'n Of The Lonely Hearts Club

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBehind you~

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

Damn, that's some crazy criticism. I used to participate in the poetry contests in the old forum and would not mind taking part again. Even if it means you're going to give my work an ass kicking. Although, in the call center world they like to call it feedback and say some things positive then negative blah blah blah.

Anyway, I liked the poems. Uhh it's kinda hard saying anything after yowids very thoughtful opinions.

I think that poetry is a self expressive art. I've never wanted to break someone else's work into pieces and critique it. I think you should only do that when one is trying to follow the guidelines of a specific poetry style. Also, I feel like it doesn't matter how I feel, it only matters how that writer feels about their own shit. And if it's good enough, then just maybe it will mean something to someone. Even if both persons are just amateurs that don't know shit, that's art. Although it's probably good to know the basics of poetry, free style seems to be just an easier way to write something and call it poetry. No judgement, I do it too. Break the rules, why the hell not.
  • YoWid likes this

now-1.jpg

Spoiler ♥cute manga love quotes

#5 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Your replies confirmed my suspicion: you’re all not giving your 100% in this one poetry contest.

@Grimmjagger

You’re too worried of botching this very first OMF contest you’re hosting, after taking up the mantle from @Oben and you played it safe, with standard rhymes, as opposed to free verses in your writings on the other subforum. You want to make sure to play it slick as the promising upstart (which is a fact), but turned out trading freedom of thoughts to security for your newfound reputation.

@Red Opus

Your heart is in the right place, but your disillusionment is shown, if subtle, in your poem. You’re seeing the shadow of your former self (those brilliant GFXs and poems as well as the awards associated to them shall serve as your testament). You’re refusing to give in to the pressure of living up to your past glory, but subconsciously hampering yourself in the process, almost as if half-assing it.

@GintaMan

You’re eagerly and sincerely willing to help others flourish in this forum from the start, in DOTA/LoL you’d be the exemplar roaming support, without a doubt. The down side to that, however, you’re holding yourself back from drawing out your full potentials, either due to reluctance to overshine others, or complacency (subconscious or otherwise) about your works in general.

“Why the fuck you care so much about my work, bitch? Why this unwarranted cringefest of criticisms?”

I saw myself in the early, middle, and late stage of being an OMF member from the three of you, respectively. That’s why.

Have some care in your craft, have some pride in your poetry. Fuck what everybody say.

You know, that's true. We should all go all-in with our poetries and step up the game.

Otherwise we aren't respecting each others skills if we arent so, yeah, thats the last time I am not going 100%.

Damn, that's some crazy criticism. I used to participate in the poetry contests in the old forum and would not mind taking part again. Even if it means you're going to give my work an ass kicking. Although, in the call center world they like to call it feedback and say some things positive then negative blah blah blah.
Anyway, I liked the poems. Uhh it's kinda hard saying anything after yowids very thoughtful opinions.
I think that poetry is a self expressive art. I've never wanted to break someone else's work into pieces and critique it. I think you should only do that when one is trying to follow the guidelines of a specific poetry style. Also, I feel like it doesn't matter how I feel, it only matters how that writer feels about their own shit. And if it's good enough, then just maybe it will mean something to someone. Even if both persons are just amateurs that don't know shit, that's art. Although it's probably good to know the basics of poetry, free style seems to be just an easier way to write something and call it poetry. No judgement, I do it too. Break the rules, why the hell not.

#BringBackCasscatForPoetryContest
  • YoWid likes this
adc7d2dcb1dabf541a54a5baeff97cee.jpeg

BIG THINGS ARE COMING TO OMF!

#6 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

@Red Opus

Why this armchair psychology, there is no past glory to live up to...it's a poem...on an online forum...for a prizeless contest....it ain't that deep.....

as if 4 pages of poetry content isn't the definition of half assing something

• YoWid likes this

#7 YoWid

YoWid

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Yay, go, cassio!

That's a brilliant way of saying that poetry is, indeed, subjective. I'm totally with you on all the bolded points above.

However, I also think that judging (or criticizing) a poem is not wrong, too--as long as it's done by addressing real issues found in the poems that may distract the readers from appreciating their meanings, and the critics themselves must be willing to accept rebuttal/counterarguments about their criticisms, whether from the authors themselves, or from fellow readers/critics.

That's what I'm trying to do here, honing my skills as an editor and a critic--while practicing on making good arguments and handling the counterattacks. Xd

You know, that's true. We should all go all-in with our poetries and step up the game.

Otherwise we aren't respecting each others skills if we arent so, yeah, thats the last time I am not going 100%.

Counting on it, my man.

#BringBackCasscatForPoetryContest

^ this.

Why this armchair psychology, there is no past glory to live up to...it's a poem...on an online forum...for a prizeless contest....it ain't that deep.....

as if 4 pages of poetry content isn't the definition of half assing something

Well, shit. if only my chair got arms, but you got me there, bro.

Got y'all replying tho.

#8 YoWid

YoWid

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Also related to the subjectivity of poetry, this whole contest thing is a double-edged sword.

It indeed feels good to get awards after you make some poems, but on hindsight, it could get back at you, likethe way my winning poem did; it's filled with convenient and poorly thought-out pop-culture references, forced rhymes and all, but that shame was actually good.

It has propelled me further and taught me the importance of pride in my own poetry. Sure, I'll listen to all the inputs about it, but, in the end, it's all up to me to decide whether to make my poem likeable, whether to impress others or express myself without sacrificing the readability of my work.

In a nutshell, neither scores nor awards are enough to judge the quality of poems, as it's the willingness of the poets to defend his crafts and pour out their thoughts and emotions with minimum distortions that counts.

#9 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

i'm pretty turned off by the contest now, it's supposed to be as light hearted as much as it is a contest, while critique is good it should also be light hearted, no one needs the extra shit in their day i'm sure no one wants to hop on the interwebs just to see someone dissect some words too deeply:

- Grimm I like your poem, i think you captured the idea of the subject perfectly and not in

some vague way like i tried to. You said what you needed to say in 10 lines, i have no 

qualms, i did want to see you expound on it more

-Ginta i've always been a fan of your poems, i always feel like you mix your very vivid

detailed poems with a bit of mystery and intrigue it's a very alluring way to write. This

is what i think of when i think of a poem, how it should sound in my mind i always love 

your poems.

-yowid idk, wish it was expounded upon more.

• YoWid likes this

#10 casscat

casscat

♥ Capt'n Of The Lonely Hearts Club

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBehind you~

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

:/ I get where you're coming from. I'm just disappointed of low participation and voting turn out. It's not much of a surprise seeing how the forum isn't that lively, from what I see.

That being said, I wouldn't mind participating still because I love to write and would like to express myself with you all ^-^

Just don't fuck with me @YoWid
  • YoWid likes this

now-1.jpg

Spoiler ♥cute manga love quotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users