Photo

[Group] Straw Hat Pirates

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Lets see the popularity rankings (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favourite Straw Hat pirates pick 3

1. Monkey D. Luffy (21 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

2. Roronoa Zoro (19 votes [19.19%])

Percentage of vote: 19.19%

3. Nami (9 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Ussop (5 votes [5.05%])

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

5. Vinsmoke Sanji (13 votes [13.13%])

Percentage of vote: 13.13%

6. Tony Tony Chopper (3 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

7. Nico Robin (10 votes [10.10%])

Percentage of vote: 10.10%

8. Cutty Flam Franky (6 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

9. Brook (13 votes [13.13%])

Percentage of vote: 13.13%

Who are your favourite Straw Hat Fleet pirates, pick 2

1. Cavendish (18 votes [24.66%])

Percentage of vote: 24.66%

2. Bartolomeo (28 votes [38.36%])

Percentage of vote: 38.36%

3. Sai (10 votes [13.70%])

Percentage of vote: 13.70%

4. Ideo (4 votes [5.48%])

Percentage of vote: 5.48%

5. Leo (3 votes [4.11%])

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

6. Hajrudin (8 votes [10.96%])

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

7. Orlumbus (2 votes [2.74%])

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

cbea8646f2f0cae367105083a95635e026fd7234

An appreciation thread to our main characters.
Each had their own thread but one by one they got archived.

I revive them all as one.

I want to start with how much I hate this half crew arcs and that I can't wait for wano where they will all be together.
Frankie will be pissed when he sees Sunny.
Robin will be like a child on Christmas day when she gets her 3 prints of the poneglyphs.

Edited by Abaroxa, 03 April 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#2 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

3 prints? You mean one right? Where are the other two?

Personally i dont care about these half arcs. What i do care about is the balancing. I think it is really petty of oda to blanace them out. It is so lame oda has to take away more sh members for the next arc just to give them equal screen time.
I am pretty sure there is a story about this in the bible. Ya... jesus was putting on a play with all his deciples, judas gets angry and says "hey son of god, peter is getting alot more screen time then me can i get my own solo scene" and the lamb of god replied "you petty little pre-madana bitch, you will get the screen time i give you" hahaha not really, it is a story of a farmer hireing workers, good story, look it up.

I get what happened in dr. Oda carefully chose some interchangeable sh crew members and sent them away.
Actual thought process- "Well we only need one top fighter, so zoro is in sanji is out, we only need one set of boobs... robins are bigger?, robin is in nami is out, we only need one weakling, usopp is in chopper is out, we only need one comic relief character, franky is in brook is out. Good now i have enough room for 100 minor characters"

Frankly, there was roughly 2-3 sh/allies per DD crew member. And the dd crew was very poorly designed.....come at me dd crew fans.... but the dd crew had a fishboy who kicks and the kilo fruit 2.0....and lets not even talk about gladius' diamante's and buffalo's fruits....

So i accept the sh crew breaking up and aside from nami being missed oda really made the right choices with who to keep in the arc and who to send away for 2 years. BUT..... then oda had to reverse that and send the B team to wci... that was lame.

Hope you gwt what i am saying, that wasnt very clear....

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#3 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

I think I do get.

The original format was having the SH get to an island and each go on their own brief adventure.
As the crew got bigger Oda added restrictions to help with the balancing. One example was Mock Town where nami forced luffy and zoro to be together and tag along with them because the island was to dangerous. Then as we went on Oda experimented other formats being my favorite the teams A and B in TB and the beginning of DR. I like this format because we get the crew members interaction and we only have to jump between two groups, its easier to balance and advance the plot while keeping the relationship and comic aspect of the crew interaction a major focus. Note that I like different teams but they have to be in the same island at the time with both having equal screen time.
What Oda did with sanji group during DR was a clever way to discard the unnecessary and like you said to substitute them with 100 more irrelevant characters was a big mistake. Maybe at this stage he was still experimenting different formats. Given that he fed us with 2 years of content packet with the full crew and still had hype left from the 2 years ts, he could actually afford to take his chances. Now that we reversed the teams I noticed that there was no need to leave Zoro group behind. The crew is already small enough to go unnoticed and if not then what is pekoms, pedro, jimbe and carrot doing on the sunny.

Yep, Brook got 3 prints. 1 is the road, other is the one from jimbe cover story and then later on gave to BM and the last one is one BM had beneath the road poneglyph. In chapter 846, tamago is seen sitting in BM treasure room and it can be seen 3 poneglyphs in the background.

#4 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

I think I do get.

The original format was having the SH get to an island and each go on their own brief adventure.
As the crew got bigger Oda added restrictions to help with the balancing. One example was Mock Town where nami forced luffy and zoro to be together and tag along with them because the island was to dangerous. Then as we went on Oda experimented other formats being my favorite the teams A and B in TB and the beginning of DR. I like this format because we get the crew members interaction and we only have to jump between two groups, its easier to balance and advance the plot while keeping the relationship and comic aspect of the crew interaction a major focus. Note that I like different teams but they have to be in the same island at the time with both having equal screen time.
What Oda did with sanji group during DR was a clever way to discard the unnecessary and like you said to substitute them with 100 more irrelevant characters was a big mistake. Maybe at this stage he was still experimenting different formats. Given that he fed us with 2 years of content packet with the full crew and still had hype left from the 2 years ts, he could actually afford to take his chances. Now that we reversed the teams I noticed that there was no need to leave Zoro group behind. The crew is already small enough to go unnoticed and if not then what is pekoms, pedro, jimbe and carrot doing on the sunny.

Yep, Brook got 3 prints. 1 is the road, other is the one from jimbe cover story and then later on gave to BM and the last one is one BM had beneath the road poneglyph. In chapter 846, tamago is seen sitting in BM treasure room and it can be seen 3 poneglyphs in the background.

Oh ok there was a second normal one. But wasnt the one jimbe brought from fishman island and robin already read it?
if that one isnt the one from fishman island.....dick move jimbe.... giving bm a stone robin hadnt read yet.... honestly giving bm those stones in general is...forget a dick move, it is a stupid god damn move. If bm is able to awaken puddings third eye powers and those can read the stone...well... that is trouble.

banner.png

#5 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,879 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

But wasnt the one jimbe brought from fishman island and robin already read it?

Nah, it was the one he found in the cover story. Oda's cover story is important you know :hai:

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#6 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:35 AM

Nah, it was the one he found in the cover story. Oda's cover story is important you know :hai:

Then i stand by my previous comment, what a moron. Giving a stone to bm without letting robin read it first.

banner.png

#7 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

Oh ok there was a second normal one. But wasnt the one jimbe brought from fishman island and robin already read it?
if that one isnt the one from fishman island.....dick move jimbe.... giving bm a stone robin hadnt read yet.... honestly giving bm those stones in general is...forget a dick move, it is a stupid god damn move. If bm is able to awaken puddings third eye powers and those can read the stone...well... that is trouble.

The one at FI Robin already read and i am pretty sure that Jinbei thought of making a copy and hiding it, before giving it to BM. But iirc Jinbei did not meet the SHs before Brook was already in that room or am i wrong? If so then yes that would have been dumb... but to the Pudding part i dont think Jinbei knew about that skill /possible lineage of Puddings at all.

In generel i dont see jinbei to be a very smart character, but unlike others he is knowledgable, what he gets explained i think he remembers, dont see him to be the really smart one with a high IQ though. On the other hand he aint as dumb as most op characters though, thus when ompared to them, one might actually say he is smart... :shrug:

Edited by capu, 28 March 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#8 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Didn't Jimbei give BM that poneglyph to ease his leaving the crew?

tumblr_mg4t7olJvZ1s2x1ggo1_500.png

#9 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

The one at FI Robin already read and i am pretty sure that Jinbei thought of making a copy and hiding it, before giving it to BM. But iirc Jinbei did not meet the SHs before Brook was already in that room or am i wrong? If so then yes that would have been dumb... but to the Pudding part i dont think Jinbei knew about that skill /possible lineage of Puddings at all.

In generel i dont see jinbei to be a very smart character, but unlike others he is knowledgable, what he gets explained i think he remembers, dont see him to be the really smart one with a high IQ though. On the other hand he aint as dumb as most op characters though, thus when ompared to them, one might actually say he is smart... :shrug:

I dont think jimbe saw luffy before asking to leave bm's crew then begging for no roulet wheel.

Jimbe doesnt have to know about the 3 eyed girls powers, he just has to be wary bm may find a way to read the stones.
Me "hey hitler here are the blueprints for nuclear weapons and the process to enrich uranium"
Me to myself "man i sure hope he never finds out how to read english"
I mean.... these stones are maps to super weapons after all.... jimbe is being a little careless right?

Didn't Jimbei give BM that poneglyph to ease his leaving the crew?

Ya, jimbe thought he would be the first person to ever be allowed to leave her crew. Very bad guess.

Hey speaking of stones emperors and cover arcs.

Cab we talk about the biggest plot hole in op? Carbiou.
The guy knows about posiden....... and he had a "that man" scene, you know where he says he wants to tell "that man" the secrets. (I am guessing "that man" is BB, cant be kiadou and i doubt shanks would care)
So..... why hasnt he told that man? He was captured by drake and taken to kiadou....well why hadnt he told kiadou?

For the love of god if next arc doesnt have kiadou making a mad sprint for FI my broken record ass will be spending another arc talking about how another emperor is incompetent.
What is taking this so long? This isnt a lottle plot point. Aside from robin and franky caribou is the first evil person......wow did i just notice that? Both sh members who started out bad guys knew about anicent weapons.... mi digress, carbiou is the first evil person to know the location identity and even how to use an ancient weapon!!!!
When he was ready to be cooked alive by commander going to far why wasnt he begging to tell the marines in exhange for his life? He is a coward who would do just that.

I guess it isnt a plo hole yet, but carbiou is one of the most evil pirates in op. He should be doing something with this information.

Oh i know. I have a hell of an idea- scene- majoris, location of the revire, green bull makes his entrence as world nobles are begging for a solution to end the great age of pirates
Greenbull "i have a way to do it, tell them what you told me"
*drake is dead and carbiou is tied up in front of greenbull
Carbiou "if you let me live i will tell you where posiden is!!!!"
Akainu looks up, big smile "looks like this age will end sooner then we thought"

banner.png

#10 Frankenstein

Frankenstein

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Jinbe probably just knew it didn't matter since he clearly fully believes in Luffy. 

@captain kidd I wouldn't call caribou a plot hole just yet, there's no way Oda forgot about that, he even got the cover story that you mentioned. It will for sure come back up, just be patient, everything takes extra long these days it seems. At this rate, I'd say chapter 1000 is when the next big thing will happen after this week :<_<: That little scenario with Green Bull and Drake is pretty good tho, especially with that Akainu smile. But I doubt they'd be able to force Shirahoshi to do anything she doesn't want to since the sea kings can take out anyone really if she starts crying

#11 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:43 AM

Jimbe was most likely trying to get on BM good side before trying to leave her crew.

I want one of those captain Kidd scenarios with Zoro group. Something like, Luffy arrives and Zoro is sitting on top of samurai corpses.
The SH members, excluding luffy, go on a island and solve problems. I want them to be like luffy. He went to DR and he left it in ruins. He went to Totto land and 4 islands will be left in ruins. Luffy is a plague and I want them to be a little more like that.

I've been thinking and maybe one of the reasons usopp bounty went up to 200mil is because he was the one to shoot the world flag. He also fell on top of a celestial dragon, knocking the CL out cold.

#12 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:35 AM

Jimbe was most likely trying to get on BM good side before trying to leave her crew.

I believe so too. Jinbei aint a character (unlike many SHs) to needlessly fight. I mean his position as shicki was mostly taken to reconcile fishman with humans and thus to protect his race from harm in generel. I dont see him to actively, without proper very thought out reasoning, cause harm to others. Luffy on the other hand did acutally attack DD with all the citizens still around. Luffy does not care about how many, who had nothing to do with the decision made by someone, stand in his way, he will fight them all as long as he can punish the one he wants. I dont see Jinbei doing the same from start, but rather waiting for a chance to actually fight were noone else, (except those who he wishes to fight), are around. I.e. not at DR but rather on the sea or something the like.

I want one of those captain Kidd scenarios with Zoro group. Something like, Luffy arrives and Zoro is sitting on top of samurai corpses.
The SH members, excluding luffy, go on a island and solve problems. I want them to be like luffy. He went to DR and he left it in ruins. He went to Totto land and 4 islands will be left in ruins. Luffy is a plague and I want them to be a little more like that.

I like this. But i really dont see it happening. When the rest arrives at Wano i believe that while there have already been fights, i think that the main enemies (Shogun and his personal guard + most important other samurai/Ninja who oppose Wanos freedom) will still be left to take care of. I would not like Zoro to have beaten all important parts of Wanos inhabitants without us seeing it. But as u pointed out Zoro standing on top of a huge enemy army is something i could see and like, as long as it does not mean that all thats left to do at Wano is taking on Kaidous forces there. 

Zoro already did somehting similar at Whiskey Peak i think. And he has the tendency to actually defeat others who r in his path without any repercussion like the time he did it at SA reunion arc, when he defeated and entire pirate crew simply for having fallen asleep on their boat. Thus i would not say that only Luffy is a plague in the marines eyes. Both Luffy and Zoro are, while the rest of the crew try to lessen the effect there presence have on others.

I've been thinking and maybe one of the reasons usopp bounty went up to 200mil is because he was the one to shoot the world flag. He also fell on top of a celestial dragon, knocking the CL out cold.

I doubt it. As far as i understood it, it was mainly because of the focus he had at DR, in which many really got him for the first time because of the focus DD himself put on him, thus the public knowledge that was granted to him.  

Edited by capu, 29 March 2018 - 03:45 AM.

#13 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

Jinbe probably just knew it didn't matter since he clearly fully believes in Luffy.
@captain kidd I wouldn't call caribou a plot hole just yet, there's no way Oda forgot about that, he even got the cover story that you mentioned. It will for sure come back up, just be patient, everything takes extra long these days it seems. At this rate, I'd say chapter 1000 is when the next big thing will happen after this week :<_<: That little scenario with Green Bull and Drake is pretty good tho, especially with that Akainu smile. But I doubt they'd be able to force Shirahoshi to do anything she doesn't want to since the sea kings can take out anyone really if she starts crying

You are right it is too early to call it a plot hole. Maybe i should call him a .....wild card?

Oh ya sashori is kinda worthless. She cant control her powers, i dont even think she knows she has them, so what happens once akainu/kiadou/bb get "posiden" is a different story.
And if i am correct about carbiou using posiden to get out of trouble, he wont tell anyone she is useless until after the emperor goes after her.

I say someone big will go after sashoir but wont be able to use her.

banner.png

#14 Frankenstein

Frankenstein

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

You are right it is too early to call it a plot hole. Maybe i should call him a .....wild card?

Oh ya sashori is kinda worthless. She cant control her powers, i dont even think she knows she has them, so what happens once akainu/kiadou/bb get "posiden" is a different story.
And if i am correct about carbiou using posiden to get out of trouble, he wont tell anyone she is useless until after the emperor goes after her.

I say someone big will go after sashoir but wont be able to use her.

I'd say BB since the sea kings might come in and help with San wolf cuz I'm still wondering how they will handle him. Hajrudin and his guys don't seem that strong and Wadatsumi is just as bad

#15 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:28 AM

I added a poll to this thread.
Lets see the popularity rankings from OMF :D.
Vote up to 3 for the SH and up to 2 for the grand fleet.

#16 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,879 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Brook is now my 3rd favorite, replacing Luffy/Usopp. I already like his diverse arsenal (swordsmanship, soul manipulation, hypnotism and freezing power. Each of these if trained to utmost level would be incredibly powerful) and comedic nature but his recent impressive streak nails it.

• capu likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#17 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

You kinda have to hate how brook gets all the love because he is on screen..... dont forget people the second the arc is over brook is going back to being that annoying loser that only kinda fills a role on a ship he always was.

banner.png

#18 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

If in wano they all get the 1vs1 then Brook will be fine.
If we split character focus into 3 sub sections we get:
the task;
the fight;
and the character in-depth.

Character in-depth is where we explore how the character came to be. In this arcs the character mostly gets a flashback.

The fight is the arc where the character gets that 1vs1 and gets or shows a new power and skill. Luffy always get this one.

The task is the arc where the character is given a arc long task and the rest of the crew depends on this person. Example of this is is Frankie and Usopp in dressrosa and Brook in totto land.

Normally a character only gets one of this sub plots per arc. Brook so far only got the task. In wano he will hopefully get the 1vs1 bit when it comes to the character development I don't know how can Oda can explore more of him. Maybe he can do the same he did with Usopp where he was the SH that was more impressed with the minks loyalty. And this is still not enough.

Edited by Abaroxa, 03 April 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#19 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

You're assuming that Oda is going to follow that formula. He's been changing things up since the timeskip.

• Fulmine likes this

#20 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

@Chillman
Post ts, we've had the following sub plots for the main characters:
Spoiler

Oda has been doing this for a while as if I analyse some of the major acs we had prior to the ts we get:
Spoiler

Yeah once in a while we don't get one of those sub plots being the breakthrough with character in-depth the most uncommon but Oda normally circles back into them.
If I had to guess I'd say Oda won't change this pattern since he has been doing it for a long time.
The fight is always there, the breakthrough was mostly used on crew members introduction acs and the task is some way of Oda giving a character a moment to shine without having to be about power or strength. In fact it's a way of Oda showing the SH are all reliable and that they are not like other crews which leave key tasks to a single member over and over again. (DD had sugar, BM has brulle, crocodile had mr3...)

Thinking ahead, its not a question if it will happen it's more of who will be have a moment to shine and how(according to those sub plots).

Edited by Abaroxa, 04 April 2018 - 06:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users