and what a damn good fight and backstory

• Raiden, number21 and Chillman like this

#2 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts
  • LocationOne profile checks...Two profile checks...Three...

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Gentle, regardless of outcome ends up being a future ally of Deku, not the Hero society. Given how the plot is turning to be not exactly a White and Black narrative.

Edited by Insane Soul, 13 April 2018 - 02:22 PM.

• Raiden likes this

#3 Lucky Wolf

Lucky Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Gentle, regardless of outcome ends up being a future ally of Deku, not the Hero society. Given how the plot is turning to be not exactly a White and Black narrative.

Totally agree, also combat and use wise of his quirk he almost seems like he could be a mentor or a teacher down the road, not that he's qualified as he is a criminal lol. With his backstory and all he does seem like someone who could end up being redeemed. 

• Raiden and Chillman like this

#4 number21

number21

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWhy don't you find me?

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

I love the battle of wills between Gentle and Deku.

• Raiden, Shin and Chillman like this

#5 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

This fight is great, I am hoping Gentle loses but gets away safely.

That way he could potentially become an ally for Deku, I could see Gentle possibly helping Deku out in the future when more serious villains show up.

I hope that Gentle doesn't throw away his principles for the sake of his ambitions.

Also not to sure why his mum was throwing stuff at him during his flashback.

#6 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

Awesome chapters. Im really starting to like gentle powers more and more

Also i dont really get gentle’s dream. For someone who claims to be so devoted and determined to his dream he sure went from “Being the most well known hero” to “Being the most well known villian” kind of easily. And if his dream is jus to be well know why does it even have to be hero or villian? Why cant he aim to be “the most well known singer” or “the most well known philanthropist“?? And dont say its cause he might not know how to sing cause he obviously doesnt know how to be a hero or villian either

#7 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

In a world filled with heroes and villains, why settle for being a singer?
  • number21 likes this

#8 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

In a world filled with heroes and villains, why settle for being a singer?

The same reason why in a world filled with police and criminals most people in our world would rather not be either one. I would think being a hero only sounds cool to us but they are used to the idea generally.

#9 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,167 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

This shows how important a mentor is to some young people. Gentle is basically Midoriya, only that he didn't have his All Might (and maybe is much less talented depends on how the exams back then are).

• Raiden likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#10 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:03 AM

Though gentle wasnt quirkless so theres no excuse for him in my opinion

#11 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Come on Gentle, WIN!!!

#12 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,167 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Though gentle wasnt quirkless so theres no excuse for him in my opinion

It doesn't have anything to do with having Quirk or not...

#13 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

It doesn't have anything to do with having Quirk or not...

hmm then im misunderstanding wat u mean. Elaborate please

#14 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

COME ON GENTLE!! Kick Deku's ass

• PunkHazard likes this

#15 Lucky Wolf

Lucky Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

Has anyone considered the possibility of a draw? I could easily see Gentle winning for the sake of the plot but I could also see them just becoming kind of friends out of this or something over their back stories to easily make him a recurring character etc. 

#16 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,167 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:41 AM

hmm then im misunderstanding wat u mean. Elaborate please

Because the focus of their anguish is not the having Quirk part but the not being able to become Hero part. Although not having Quirk means 99.9999% not being able to be hero. But you get the point.

Also it has more to do with their character and personality. Would Deku become like him if All might was not there?

#17 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:48 PM

I see this fight coming to a draw due to either interference on All Might's end (remember, he's on his way to the same general area as Deku and Midoriya) or a bigger threat comes and both Gentle and Deku ally together to defeat the threat. 

I initially didn't like Gentle because of his gimmicky character but he has grown on me. 

Edited by Fenrix, 16 April 2018 - 10:48 PM.

#18 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,980 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:36 AM

Deku's and Gentle's quirk mesh so well that this might be my favorite fight of Deku's so far. A lot of nice back and forth with both showcasing their quirk really well. 

Seeing Gentle's backstory was sad, but I do like the parallels between him and Deku like others have pointed out. Both were looked at as "failures" but their heart was always in the right place and Deku came across an All Might where as Gentle trying to help someone ended up in disaster. All he wants to do now is prove to himself that he can achieve his dream even if it isn't in the way he originally intended. 

Given how long this fight has been going on in this one location I don't think it will spill over to the UA festival now. I feel like it will reach a conclusion before Gentle is able to make his way and disrupt it. I now think that Gentle will lose here too and it is going to set up him achieving his dream down the road. In some big heroic moment where he proves himself and becomes someone that is remembered.  Hopefully he is able to show that to his parents after all the challenges they went through. 

• Raiden and Chillman like this

#19 KLGChaos

KLGChaos

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

User's Awards

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:28 AM

I just can't get behind Gentle's reasoning myself, at least not to the point of feeling sorry for him, which seems to be what the author is pushing for.

During the whole backstory, despite having a strong quirk, he just seemed to come off as an arrogant slacker who just wanted to be famous, but didn't actually want to apply himself or work for it.

Hard to feel sorry for someone like that.
  • PunkHazard and Fenrix like this

fallout3_dogmeat_zpsjyrxypvn.jpg?t=14248

"You can run from all the memories, but no matter how far... in the end they'll find you, for this is who you are."

#20 Lucky Wolf

Lucky Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

I just can't get behind Gentle's reasoning myself, at least not to the point of feeling sorry for him, which seems to be what the author is pushing for.

During the whole backstory, despite having a strong quirk, he just seemed to come off as an arrogant slacker who just wanted to be famous, but didn't actually want to apply himself or work for it.

Hard to feel sorry for someone like that.

I wouldn't say that his quirk is strong, it seems to me that he only figured out how to use it effectively in recent years given the quote of the school principal on his quirk and just because he did poorly in school doesn't make him a slacker nor do i really see arrogance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users