Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

http://m.mangahere.c.../made_in_abyss/

Summary:
The enormous cave system, known as the Abyss, is the last unexplored place in the world. Nobody knows how deep down goes this titanic pit, inhabited by strange and wondrous creatures and full of mysterious ancient relics which purpose in unknown to modern man. Generations of bold adventurers have been drawn by the cryptic depths of the Abyss. In course of time those brave enough to explore the dangerous pit came to be known as "Cave Raiders." In Oosu, the town at the edge of the Abyss, there lives a little orphan named Rico, who dreams of becoming as great a cave raider as her mother was and solving the great mystery of the pit. One day exploring the murky depths she stumbles upon a little boy, who turns out to be a robot...

How is there no Made in abyss discussion thread? I had to make it cause I’m tired of not talking about it. The anime is really popular but the manga is better to me.

If it is already made then just delete this I guess. I couldnt find it though.

Edited by PunkHazard, 15 May 2018 - 11:11 AM.

• Tokoya and Abu Dun like this

#2 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Location6th Layer of the Abyss

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

That series really is a hidden gem and it's hard to believe that, until now, nobody has found the will to talk about this. Because, frankly, there is so much that is worthy of being discussed, e.g. how the Abyss could have developed its entirely alien environment when seemingly everything else is rather close to normal. There should be a warning, though, as the series can - and will - get rather graphic at times and some of its story elements can have a rather harsh emotional impact, considering how old the main characters are and what they have to go through.

How far have you read? Are you up to date (i.e. ch. 46)?

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#3 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

Started reading it and  the story about Mitty just killed my soul.....

#4 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

Alot of creepy shit in this  :unsure:

#5 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:24 AM

That series really is a hidden gem and it's hard to believe that, until now, nobody has found the will to talk about this. Because, frankly, there is so much that is worthy of being discussed, e.g. how the Abyss could have developed its entirely alien environment when seemingly everything else is rather close to normal. There should be a warning, though, as the series can - and will - get rather graphic at times and some of its story elements can have a rather harsh emotional impact, considering how old the main characters are and what they have to go through.

How far have you read? Are you up to date (i.e. ch. 46)?

exactly! Theres sooo much to discuss. Sooo many theories I have and soo much stufff im excited for! I agree tho its definitely a dark show and you wouldnt expect it.

And yea im up to date. Short hair Riko FTW

Started reading it and the story about Mitty just killed my soul.....

Alot of creepy shit in this :unsure:

lmao. I cant wait till u finish the Lord of Dawn arc! Definitely the best villian Ive seen in a long time and he’s definitely creepy af! Not to mention the fight itself was amazing!

#6 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

exactly! Theres sooo much to discuss. Sooo many theories I have and soo much stufff im excited for! I agree tho its definitely a dark show and you wouldnt expect it.

And yea im up to date. Short hair Riko FTW

lmao. I cant wait till u finish the Lord of Dawn arc! Definitely the best villian Ive seen in a long time and he’s definitely creepy af! Not to mention the fight itself was amazing!

Yes i caught up and Lord of Dawn is so fucked up and yet hes so cool. He has a cool design but damm hes messed up.

Tough this sseries is abit messed up. It has abit of some Pedo undertones. Really creeped me out.

#7 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yes i caught up and Lord of Dawn is so fucked up and yet hes so cool. He has a cool design but damm hes messed up.

Tough this sseries is abit messed up. It has abit of some Pedo undertones. Really creeped me out.

The Lord of Dawn was indeed creepy beyond imagination and what he did to Nanachi, Mitty and especially to Prushka was crossing the line not twice, but ten times. Still, his honest congratulations to the heroes for actually defeating his strongest vessel and the fact that he, and only he, did not sacrifice someone else to obtain a white whistle is worthy of calling him magnificient. 

Regarding the white whistles, I do find it interesting that they apparently are polished in the village of the Narehate - which is situated in the 6th Layer and thus, at least as far as the public knows, should be unapproachable by people like the Lord of Dawn. So how, exactly, did they obtain their whistles without dying horrible, horrible deaths and instead are revered as the ultimate heroes of the Abyss? Furthermore, seeing what Oven and the Lord of Dawn where capable of, are there more delvers of their caliber around, being employed by other nations besides Orte?

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#8 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

pedo vibes? You know someone on reddit said soemthing similar but i dont understand where thats coming from

#9 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

pedo vibes? You know someone on reddit said soemthing similar but i dont understand where thats coming from

Perhaps because the main characters are a small girl and an equally small cyborg-boy, who both have a few scenes with nudity?

The more unpleasant meanings aside, the topic of children being more or less willingly made to dive into a vast cave is actually is rather accurate in regards to how deep mining was done in the 18th and 19th century. I.e. by small children who were made to dig coals and ores in those caverns grown men couldn't fit into. And it happened rather often that they wouldn't return from one of those dives, due to the tunnel collapsing over them or other hazards taking their lives - like how it nearly happened at the very start with Rikos best friend.

currently reading:

and a lot more

#10 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

The Lord of Dawn was indeed creepy beyond imagination and what he did to Nanachi, Mitty and especially to Prushka was crossing the line not twice, but ten times. Still, his honest congratulations to the heroes for actually defeating his strongest vessel and the fact that he, and only he, did not sacrifice someone else to obtain a white whistle is worthy of calling him magnificient.

Regarding the white whistles, I do find it interesting that they apparently are polished in the village of the Narehate - which is situated in the 6th Layer and thus, at least as far as the public knows, should be unapproachable by people like the Lord of Dawn. So how, exactly, did they obtain their whistles without dying horrible, horrible deaths and instead are revered as the ultimate heroes of the Abyss? Furthermore, seeing what Oven and the Lord of Dawn where capable of, are there more delvers of their caliber around, being employed by other nations besides Orte?

i completely agree! The fact that he would always compliment his opponent was awesome. At first i jus thought its cause he always had a back up plan to get him out of a situation so he could afford to be relaxed enough to compliment them but even after he was really defeated he still gave some of his last words to compliment them. Jus let me know he was crazy. But not like psycho, kill everyone cause i enjoy it, kind of crazy. More crazy like he jus didnt care about anything not even himself, other then his goals. I can respect that. Even if he is a despicable person overall. Though i never considered the fact that he was the only one that sacrificed himself instead of another person for his white whistle. I guess the aurthor was tryna drive home how much he doesn’t care about himself from the start. Interesting.

Wym they are polished in the 6th layer? I always assumed they got their white whistles before they went to the 6th layer. But i assume every white whistle is badass like they were too

Wat i dont get is wat is the point of delvers even goin pass the 5th layer if they cant come back up? This my one complaint about this manga. They cant send artifacts they find up, they cant make any money, cant help progress the world furthur with the things they find, they can never talk to their friemds and family again, they have to live in constant danger for the rest of their lives, even if they figure out wats at the bottom they can never tell anyone. They will literally jus have to satisfy their curiosity and sit there wit it for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps because the main characters are a small girl and an equally small cyborg-boy, who both have a few scenes with nudity?

The more unpleasant meanings aside, the topic of children being more or less willingly made to dive into a vast cave is actually is rather accurate in regards to how deep mining was done in the 18th and 19th century. I.e. by small children who were made to dig coals and ores in those caverns grown men couldn't fit into. And it happened rather often that they wouldn't return from one of those dives, due to the tunnel collapsing over them or other hazards taking their lives - like how it nearly happened at the very start with Rikos best friend.

there was some nude parts but nothing that seemed out of nowhere or anything that can be construed as “fan service”. Every situation seemed logical and followed the actual chain of events

#11 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Fan service for what demographic? Nude Children and even some in bondage FFS. I don't see anything logical in event progress showing a girl been punished that way.

Anyways Lord of Dawn was definitly the msot memorable thing from this manga so far. One ofd my favourite vvillains?/Antagonists. I really liked the touch of him remenbering the names of his test subjects, showing that he had some regard of lvoe toweards them, tough in a incredibly twisted logic of his. Fight agaisnt himw as really great and i really love his overral design.

#12 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

No I was saying i didn’t see anything that would be considered fan service. I agree if I did feel it was some sort of fan seeing then it would be super weird and disgusting. And wen u say punishment are u referring to the beginning with the teacher? I forgot about that. I think the aurthor meant it to be funny but i agree thats weird

Definitely agree on everything about the Lord of the Dawn. Even his name is cool to me.

#13 Oben

Oben

Lacking Harmony

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,883 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

Read this now too.

Pretty good. Not a big fan of the art overall, but some of the designs are great. The story is as weird as I like it, but some of the jumps are too harsh for my taste.

Bondrew can go up and down because of the cartridges (which apparently eat the curse), basically he cheated his way around it. And he has an elevator :lol:

Belafu even said that Dawn visited many times: http://mangaseeonlin...45-page-20.html

For the others... who knows. The guy in the workshop said he carved it out based on the lines on the surface, which might mean that any skilled worker can do it.

#14 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:41 AM

Just binge the series thanks to this topic.

Agree with Oben, Art kinda of a turn off.

That Village of Narehate, are they all former White Whistle?
Narehate: Former Humans who tried to go up from 5th level but got cursed.
White whistle since they need a white whisle to go down to 6?

#15 Oben

Oben

Lacking Harmony

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,883 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:25 AM

I don't think you need a White Whistle to go down, otherwise Dawn's experiments on the children wouldn't have worked. They're the only ones who can properly dive to the Fifth layer though (link), so I guess they are the default for people who are allowed to go into the Sixth layer.

I think Narehate are just people who ended up down there and were trapped and deformed. After all, the abyss has been open for almost two milennia, and time flows differently in the deep, there can be a number of people that amassed down there. Even if it's only a handful per year.

• PunkHazard likes this

#16 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

Read this now too.

Pretty good. Not a big fan of the art overall, but some of the designs are great. The story is as weird as I like it, but some of the jumps are too harsh for my taste.

Bondrew can go up and down because of the cartridges (which apparently eat the curse), basically he cheated his way around it. And he has an elevator :lol:

Belafu even said that Dawn visited many times: http://mangaseeonlin...45-page-20.html

For the others... who knows. The guy in the workshop said he carved it out based on the lines on the surface, which might mean that any skilled worker can do it.

Imo, the art being different from the majority of the other works is one of its strongest points. It really drives home just how alien the Abyss is compared to the outside world.

True, but even then his cartridges don't hold up for long and he can't spend a lot of time down there. That might be the case, or the other white whistles used the elevator (and the cartrigdes) to go to the Narehate village after obtaining the raw material. And to keep it a secret that, under certain circumstances, an ascend from the 6th Layer can be survived, they tell the public that its a journey of no return.

Wat i dont get is wat is the point of delvers even goin pass the 5th layer if they cant come back up? This my one complaint about this manga. They cant send artifacts they find up, they cant make any money, cant help progress the world furthur with the things they find, they can never talk to their friemds and family again, they have to live in constant danger for the rest of their lives, even if they figure out wats at the bottom they can never tell anyone. They will literally jus have to satisfy their curiosity and sit there wit it for the rest of their lives.

As Oben pointed out, Bondrew has an elevator and the means to make regular visits to at least the uppermost part of the 6th Layer. So perhaps this is the way the other white whistles who went down there can use this to send messages to the top - even though it would take years to reach the surface.

• PunkHazard likes this

currently reading:

and a lot more

#17 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Just binge the series thanks to this topic.

Agree with Oben, Art kinda of a turn off.

I didnt realize how many people didnt read this. No wonder there wasnt a thread for it. Im happy makin this thread made people wanna read it. The more people who read Made in abyss the better the world is lol.

Yall dont like the art? Really? The art is the best part for me. Its so different then anything Ive seen. Everything feels like its been painted instead of drawn. It has such a magical feeling to it.

And i was wondering if they are all white wistles too. I dont think so tho cause they would make everyone down there super strong and i feel like it would be more of a plot device if they were. They would have mentioned it by now. I think they are all regular humans who went down there before the delving limits were put in place. Like how black wistles can go to the forth and only white wistles can go down to the fifth and beyond. They probably been there for hundreds of years before humans started goin down there for sport.

And i think they only need white wistles to go on that elevator recently too. Only in the last 10 years. I feel like Bondrewd made that elevator so before that i they used other means

Imo, the art being different from the majority of the other works is one of its strongest points. It really drives home just how alien the Abyss is compared to the outside world.

True, but even then his cartridges don't hold up for long and he can't spend a lot of time down there. That might be the case, or the other white whistles used the elevator (and the cartrigdes) to go to the Narehate village after obtaining the raw material. And to keep it a secret that, under certain circumstances, an ascend from the 6th Layer can be survived, they tell the public that its a journey of no return.

As Oben pointed out, Bondrew has an elevator and the means to make regular visits to at least the uppermost part of the 6th Layer. So perhaps this is the way the other white whistles who went down there can use this to send messages to the top - even though it would take years to reach the surface.

but they mentioned before how unlikely it is for messages to reach the top the furthur u go down. Cause monsters and all the things you have to go through before u reach the top. Especially if there is a elevator to the fifth layer, how do u get a ballon message through that?

#18 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Pretty sure White Whisle a hard limit to 6th level since they they said that altar was an Achient times thing too.

I don't think you need a White Whistle to go down, otherwise Dawn's experiments on the children wouldn't have worked. They're the only ones who can properly dive to the Fifth layer though (link), so I guess they are the default for people who are allowed to go into the Sixth layer.
I think Narehate are just people who ended up down there and were trapped and deformed. After all, the abyss has been open for almost two milennia, and time flows differently in the deep, there can be a number of people that amassed down there. Even if it's only a handful per year.

Dawn experiment was still within 5th level. Didn't breach 6th level.

I'm assuming he went to 6th level, he used the main method.

Not like that is a one way trip since it has to go back up.

#19 Oben

Oben

Lacking Harmony

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,883 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Pretty sure White Whisle a hard limit to 6th level since they they said that altar was an Achient times thing too.

Dawn experiment was still within 5th level. Didn't breach 6th level.

I'm assuming he went to 6th level, he used the main method.

Not like that is a one way trip since it has to go back up.

Nope, he straight up says the kids reached to the 6th layer:

http://mangaseeonlin...-23-page-8.html

That's why they were deformed at all, since the 5th layer doesn't do that yet. He lowered them from the 5th to the 6th, then pulled them back through the border to study the effects.

Also no, there is no standard way back. Bondrewd basically cheated around it, but it's usually is indeed a one-way trip.

#20 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Nope, he straight up says the kids reached to the 6th layer:
http://mangaseeonlin...-23-page-8.html
That's why they were deformed at all, since the 5th layer doesn't do that yet. He lowered them from the 5th to the 6th, then pulled them back through the border to study the effects.

Also no, there is no standard way back. Bondrewd basically cheated around it, but it's usually is indeed a one-way trip.

Someone need to make a list of layer effectss.

Pretty sure it not a 1 way trip, how does the platform get back up?

Considering he says dead end, and it looked like the went into that area while Reg was fighting (see all the mittie from the other children)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users